Anon Choreography

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (e0d6)

I’m not sure if our gym actually teaches the choreography dance part when it comes to their floor routines. This is her first year being able to pick music and not have a set routine given by the coaches.
Does most gym coaches assist with choreography? It appears the level coach is helping level gymnasts but not Xcel. Shouldn’t it be equal?
I know some gymnasts help each other but to my knowledge that’s the extent of it.
So right now we are watching YouTube and trying to figure it out.
If this is normal then great but if not then can you offer some advice, direction, suggestions. I saw the other thread about paying for a choreographer but not even sure where I would start to find one. A quick Google search brings up dance studios. And the of course cost factor too but would it be worth paying a decent routine than a self-taught -maybe? However (thinking as I type this) isn’t this what I’m paying the gym for? We don’t have assessment fees or anything like that so maybe not?

Thanks in advance.

We have some former gymnasts (graduated high school for the most part) that are willing to help with choreo.
We also have a couple high school age coaches that will help with it too.

Each gym handles this differently. The gym I worked at (Xcel only) most recently had several coaches who did all of the routines and the coach for each level helped facilitate scheduling with the coach who would be a good fit to choreograph each routine. It is an additional charge for the private lesson to learn the routine and the fee is different for different music length. There is also an additional fee if we have to cut the music. This is outlined in our handbook, which is signed by coach, parent, and athlete before summer training starts.

The gym I grew up in used outside choreographers but again facilitated the process by telling us who they recommended, giving contact information, etc.

I would speak directly to your daughter's coach and ask how it is handled at your gym. If they expect you to handle it, ask if they have any recommendations for choreographers in the area, or even if any of the other coaches at the gym would be willing and able. Expect to pay either a much higher private lesson fee or a routine fee plus a private less fee.

I would ask your gym their policy. Everyone is different. For instance, at my gym, Xcel Silvers all do the same routine. Xcel Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Sapphire, and Levels 6-10 all have their routines choreographed in-house (our gym owner is a renowned choreographer). We learn them in a private session and then keep them for two years. The cost varies depending on the level. Some gyms require you to use their choreographers, so have you find your own, but the policy should be easy to find out just by asking.

I agree with the others that you should ask their policy. At dd's gym, the silvers all have the same routine so that it can be taught to them as a group since they are typically younger and require more time to learn it. The gold and up girls find 4 songs that they like and it is suggested that they come from a website dedicated to floor music. They send the 4 songs to the Xcel head coach who then picks one and choreographs the routine and does a private lesson to teach the routine. The gymnast purchases the music in the length that the coach suggests.
The optional girls follow the same policy.

I’m not sure if our gym actually teaches the choreography dance part when it comes to their floor routines. This is her first year being able to pick music and not have a set routine given by the coaches.
Does most gym coaches assist with choreography? It appears the level coach is helping level gymnasts but not Xcel. Shouldn’t it be equal?
I know some gymnasts help each other but to my knowledge that’s the extent of it.
So right now we are watching YouTube and trying to figure it out.
If this is normal then great but if not then can you offer some advice, direction, suggestions. I saw the other thread about paying for a choreographer but not even sure where I would start to find one. A quick Google search brings up dance studios. And the of course cost factor too but would it be worth paying a decent routine than a self-taught -maybe? However (thinking as I type this) isn’t this what I’m paying the gym for? We don’t have assessment fees or anything like that so maybe not?

Thanks in advance.
At my gym we had a choreographer come in and do all of our routines. We do not have an excel program but you can always just try and ask!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back