Parents Coach is leaving so what to do now?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our DD's coach is leaving this week so we are left in a bind. Our daughter qualified for Tops National Testing and this coach has been very instrumental in helping our daughter qualify. FYI, we switched gyms early July to "pursue" the Tops path based on DD's previous coaches recommendation...unfortunately the previous gym didn't have a Tops coach or the staff to sacrifice for all the commitments that qualifying would entail so we switched gyms.

The problem is DD is doing very well with the skills portion and seems to be improving on the abilities portion of the Tops requirements. So now we don't have anybody to continue the progress that's been made until national testing.

Some of the options my wife and I have been pondering are do we switch to another gym that has a coach or do we just give up on the dream (DD will be devastated since she's really worked like an animal to make it to national testing). Our gym says that they have someone in mind but recently we were given that line when we lost one of the apparatus coaches and it took nearly two months to find a replacement. We don't have two months this time since national testing is the beginning of Oct.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

it may be disappointing BUT tops is no indicator of where your daughter will go. it's more important that she's in a good program with gymnasts...not topsters... if you know what i mean.

Dunno always gives great advice this is no exception....W

While your DD may be sad and probably rightly so..The program and gym as a whole are more important than TOPS.

Another thing to consider is if you leave and move too many gyms you will get a reputation among the gym community in your area (not one you want probably). Some of the reasonfor leaving or all maybe valid but, that will still not stop coaches and parents from chatting over it. In the long run it could be harmfull to your DD's gymnastics.

I would sit tight if your program is solid. New coaches are hard to find and a good gym has growing pains and coache losses occasionaly.

this is just my humble opinion others may disagree but that is fine....I have seen many kids move clubs over the years and it is not always for the best. Consitancy at a club is good. There always valid reasosns for leaving also...don't get me wrong.

I absolutely would stay put for now. Other coaches should be able to help her with her training and take her to testing. I don't know how much a new gym and coach could offer in such little time anyway.
TOPs ends at 10 yo. Its not a career long program. I understand your dd's disappointment and your frustration. You've only been at this gym for 2 mos---what do you think of the program overall(take out the TOPs part)? If you feel this is a good gym and your dd will grow as a gymnast, then stay. Some of the top gyms in the country don't do TOPs and many of the girls that have been on national/Olympic teams never were in the program

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back