Coaches saying different things..how to deal with it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

twoofthem

My dd is a lvl 7 and she has a meet coming up next weekend. She trains in the day group with the coaches who train the 9/10’s. Sometimes they are at her meets, and sometimes not. She has been working on adding new skills and has her half down solid and wants to put that in her floor. The coaches that train the 7’s say her first pass should be her half and her last her lay out. Her day coach says the opposite, that they would rather see a solid lay out and that it is more impressive to have the half as her last pass. She is pretty indifferent about it, she says she has no problems in being able to do it as her last pass and has been working it as her last pass for a week. But she says she has no idea on who to listen to, the coaches who will be at the meet or her regular coaches.. and I really have no advice for her other than it’s her floor and she should do what she feels best doing.

I think it would be fine to say what you said here to her coaches (either set), or have DD mention that she is confused. You're not challenging their judgement and are fine with either outcome, just confused as to which plan is best for this meet. It might encourage them to check in with each other about this, but also about other things in the future.

End the routine with a big dismount. Not such a big deal in WAG, I think.

Only reason I would do the full first is if she is too gassed to do the full last.

I say listen to the higher level coaches..simply because chances are they know a little more and have more experience with routines. And also I agree that it would look better with the hardest skill at the end :)

I would suggest she listen to her regular coaches. They know her best. If the coaches at the meet question her she can just say " my coach said I have to do it this way"

Thanks everyone! She practiced with the 7/8 coach yesterday as a make up and told her that her regular coach wants her to have it as her last and that's what she would like to do. Doing routines yesterday she did it with her last and it's fine, so that's what she is going to keep.

Good choice- my friend the judge says do the layout first at level 7 when you are fresh because it is the skill the judges are looking for- special requirement.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back