Coaches?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm the oldest girl at my gym, and over the summer a lot of littler girls got moved up to optional group and a bunch of the girls my age quit because they all just started high school, I did as well, anyway the younger girls don't get that in optionals we take thing seriously and that you can just goof around or someone is gonna get hurt, but every time the little kids do something I feel I'm being yelled at because of something they did or I'm having to do extra conditioning. How do i tell my coach that I don't want to be treated like them if I'm doing stuff right? And that if there too immature they need to go back down with the rest of the girls their age? When I move to optionals it took about a month for me to resize it was serious but it's been about 5 with them, me and another one of my teammates also get overlooked because the little kids need so many skills to be able to be optionals so they get more attention... I already quit doing bars because if it I don't want to have to switch gyms or quit entirely. I love my coaches but I wish they would resized that some girls do take thing seriously and either deal with it or tell their parent they need to learn when it's time to stop goofing around

Have a talk. Tell your coaches exactly what you just told us.
There is not much more we (as complete strangers) can do or say to improve the situation.

Thanks I tried talking to them Friday but they said we aren't individuals at the gym were a team and that's how they look at us

That on the other hand would concern me.
You might be a team and tht is a very important aspect on how to behave and how to treat each other but for your coaches you should still be individuals because that's what you are: individual gymnasts with individual strengths and individual needs.
When I read your post that was the first thought that came across my mind: Your coaches are probably supporting the newbies who need the most help and accidentially neglect the more experienced ones. It happens to every coach once in a while.
While coaches (inculding me) often get annoyed about parents worrying about their dd/ds not getting enough attention, it surprises me that a coach blocks a gymnasts worries in a way like that.

Your coaches are right, gymnastics is a team sport. If someone gets punished, everyone should be punished. If they are goofing around it is your job to tell them to knock it off or else everyone will be punished. You are the oldest and even if you don't think it, they most likely look up to you and if you let them know its not appropriate, they will stop.

Why did you quit bars?
There were a few factors, my coach wouldn't raise the bar unless we were at meets so I would always hit the ground, I hadn't learned a new skill in about 7 months, I was getting worse, we had just had younger kids move up that they were trying to get to level 7 and they got all the attention plus they we're on a different bar set so while they were practicing we would be on the rails doing skills we had all had ( only 1 bar set), I had my level 8 skills on every other event but bars ( I didn't even have 7 skills) I would have had to do 7 this year with no giant just 2 clear hips because my coach would teach giants to me

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back