Coaching attire for competitions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was just watching a youtube video and saw some really EEK outfits on some coaches at a big meet. They looked unprofessional and it was hard to tell if they worked as a coach or the cleaning crew.

If you are a coach, what do you wear to meet? Does the gym choose it, do you like it? What would you change and why?

Parents what do your coaches wear? Does it look "businesslike"? What would be better?

Generally are there rules that dictate what meet attire looks like where you live? DO you think that coaches would be better represented if meet attire was standardized?

The vast majority of coaches around here wear some sort of sweat suit. Usually a yoga style pant and zip up sweatshirt or team t-shirt/tank top, definitely comfortable clothing. A lot of the female coaches even opt for a capri cut sweat pant style. The male coaches tend to go with the male version sweatsuit.

I definitely wouldn't use the words "professional" to describe the outfits, but I think they are appropriate for the situation. Many of our coaches will get down and manually stretch girls during the meet and are constantly moving between events and setting equipment so I think comfort is a priority.

Our board just passed and agreed to the club paying for the "team tracksuits" (same ones the gymnasts are required to purchase) for all competitive coaches. We decided that it would look best and then give us the right to make them a requirement for them to wear at meets and gym functions where they are representing the club.

The men's coaches are more professionally dressed in our area. We must wear a collared shirt. The women's meets...compulsory meets especially...can be pretty bad. It has been getting better...but not a ton.

Last edited:
In our gym for just regular coaches we wear sweatpants and our staff t-shirts which say the gym and logo + our name on the front and STAFF on the back.

At meets the coaches have sweatsuits that usually have the logo of the gym on them.

All meets I've attended the females where yoga pants and a tshirt/sweatshirt and men where sweatpants or track suit pants and a tshirt/sweatshirt. I know at the college level it's required that coaches dress nicely.. men in collared shirt, tie, and nice pants, and ladies in blouses and nice pants.

It does look silly to mee to see a coach at college meets in stilettos and skirts. On the men's side, I don't see that ties are necessary but they make more sense than some of the womens's outfits I have seen. I can understand nice pants and shirts in school colors with clean gym shoes. In JO meets track suits or long pants with a gym polo shirt makes sense to me. Overall, I think a coach should look neat, pressed and in colors coordinating with the team. They should also look like they can or will move a mat or spot a gymnast, or go out on the floor if necessary.

All coaches are required to wear club kit here, whatever that may be, otherwise they are asked to leave the competition floor!
At our club, female coaches wear black joggers (the yoga style ones) a white fitted polo and we also have a fitted black fleece. The polo and fleece both have the club logo on.
The male coaches wear black tracksuit bottoms and a black polo shirt with the club logo.

we are the same as Marie - Black yoga pants, black polo shirt with club logo on the front and "coach" on the back and a black Hoodie with club logo embroidered on the back

I know there's a dress code here--no jeans or sandals, but not sure what else. Our coaches typically wear track pants or shorts with a gym t-shirt. And I agree--some of the clothes I've seen on coaches are completely unprofessional--even at our State meet last year!

I've seen coaches wear low-rise jeans... which I think is unprofessional looking. Another thing that bugs me is when coaches wear the tight tracksuits (the Victoria Secret kind)... If the cut isn't right, it can look trashy. And, yes... I do think a tracksuit CAN have too much bling. I just think it's too much when the whole gym name is written on a jacket in faux rhinestones. Just my opinion.

very expensive warm up suit and a collared shirt with gym logo.

I don't know if there is a dress code here, but the coaches from our gym wear the club tracksuit, the same as the gymnasts wear. I'm not sure if this is true for all the clubs, but anyway I've never seen coaches in street clothes, it would always be tidy sports gear.

We wear a tshirt or semi-polo-thing (it has a collar but no buttons) with the gym logo, the same warmup jacket as the kids, and track pants. We considered getting the same warmup suits as the kids, but the pants were decidedly NOT flattering.

We like outfits at our gym...we have a warm up suit with gym logo on back, a different warm up suit in gym colors, various jackets and fleeces to wear with yoga type pants. We can do the 3 day meets with out repeating outfits!

Most coaches here where some sort of tracksuit normally with yoga style pants or 'dance' pants (long lose legging kinda things) and then coaching top and coaching jacket (both of which are in club colours) they then wear sneakers. It is very rare to have a coach in businesslike clothes and I think if someone did have businesslike clothes everyone would stare and find it quite hilarious

For WAG, there is now a State meet dress code. There may be one for MAG. Within WAG, you'll find more younger female coaches wherein their attire has been less than stellar in the past.

At some gyms, I've worn a tracksuit bottom and top where the jacket had our gyms logo and name embroidered on it.

From what I remember, cargo shorts are no longer allowed which is a damn shame but I understand the reasoning.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back