WAG Coaching changes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Gymnast28

Gymnast
So to give some background information I’m graduated and was thinking of staying in gym for an extra year. My coach had brought it up and I said I would think about it. I just switch to this coach last year and I feel like we are finally making progress with my skills she’s absolutely amazing and really values her athletes as humans. After having a rough time with my coach before her I was happy to finally have her and it was the main reason I wanted to stay an extra year. I’m from a smaller gym and are groups were just split by coaches. I just heard news that they are redoing are program and that they will be separating our groups by level. This means that my coach will no longer be coaching a specific level and be what they are calling a floater coach aka helping with the groups that need it. This means that if I do stay I will be with a coach who is not my favourite. She chooses to coach only one athlete which is the top gymnast in her group and they’ve been together since she was in parent and tot. So it’s understandable that she gets this attention. However if I’m going to stay another year I want to enjoy it and I don’t think I would enjoy it with that coach. I want to bring it up with my coach but I’m not supposed to know any of this information and someone accidentally slipped and told me thinking I already knew. None of the other girls know but I know most of them will be devastated as we all have a special bond with OUR coach. They’ve basically scrambled our entire program. I guess this is what most of the gyms in our area are doing so they want to match up with them. I really don’t know what to do cause I don’t think I’m ready to be done with the sport but if I’m with that coach I don’t think I’ll enjoy myself. I told my coach I wanted to see what my college courses looked like first before committing to another year but like… it seems like she forgot we had that conversation and now I don’t want to bring it up because I don’t plan on staying if I’m with a different coach. Any advice???

I would talk to your current coach about your concerns. Even if you're not supposed to know this, you know it, and so I think it's best to be honest about what you know and how you feel about it. I think talking to the coach you like may give you a better view of your options.

Aside from that, are there other groups at your gym or other gyms you could join? Maybe your college will have a club gym, or you can switch to a different group within your gym with a different coach?
I think it'd be a shame to quit gymnastics as a whole just because of a bad coach, but I also think it's not a good idea to stick with a coach if you don't enjoy their classes.

As for
it seems like she forgot we had that conversation
It's also possible she's not bringing it up because she doesn't want to pressure you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back