WAG coaching credentials

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ivyagogo

Coach
What is involved in getting my credentials so I can get my girls competing Xcel this fall? Our gym has USAG membership already since we have a boys power tumbling team. I have been waiting for August because I know that's when the season starts. But what do I have to actually do? It is my understanding that I have to pass an online test and get a background check. I need to register all my girls. What else has to happen?

you go online and have your credit card ready. you must pay money for your Professional Membership, you will pay money for a mandatory/required background check and you will pay money for the Safety Certification Exam. these 3 things must be done first.

then, you will take the mandatory/required U100 course. this one is free. and you can not step on the floor of any USAG sanctioned event...competitions, camps, etc; until all 4 of these prongs have been executed and accomplished.

additionally, the same person that registers your boys tumbling team will be the registered person to do so as Club Rep for your program. go to them to get your gymnasts registered also. :)

if you have any other questions please ask away and do not wait for 8/1. get started now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Get started now. The background check takes a few weeks and you do not want to be in the position of having a meet scheduled and not having your credentials sorted out yet.

I thought that every August you have to re-apply for your credentials. Wouldn't it be foolish to do it now? You'd just have to redo it again in two months anyway, right?

The background check and safety cert are good for a few years (2ish maybe?) and no matter when in the year you take them the exp. date is July 31st. So it doesn't matter all that much when you get those done. The USAG membership is only from Aug. 1st-July 31st, regardless of when you register. So if you pay the $84 or whatever for a USAG pro membership in June, you'll be paying it again in August- but your background check, safety cert, and U100 will be good to go for the season. If your gym pays for it, it's not so much of a problem, but if you are in a situation where you need to pay for it yourself (like I am), it's silly to pay the fee twice within a few months.
My background check ran through super fast, but I guess it can be slower if there are a lot of other requests at the same time. When will your girls first meet be?

I am thinking our first meet will probably be around November. I'm still waiting for the calendar. I'm trying to time this all right so I don't have to double up on the fees.

https://usagym.org/pages/membership/pages/info_professional.html
  • Membership is valid for one competitive season
  • Current competitive season: August 1, 2014 through July 31, 2015
  • There is no pro-rating of membership fees
  • All fees and memberships are both non-refundable and non-transferable
This is from the USAG website. If you purchase your membership now, it will be valid for next season. It is a bit expensive if you have to pay it all out of pocket with no help from your club, so I, personally prefer to break it up. My background and my safety cert both expire this year. I plan to renew my membership this month, then start my background in July and my safety in August (we don't compete until October).

USAG pro membership is $89. The used to offer a $5 discount for doing it online rather than via mail, but I don't see that option on the info anymore.

Background check starts at $20, if I recall correctly. I had to pay extra because they needed to search more than one state or county. I can't remember which.

The safety certification is $65 and will take some time in front of a computer to complete. I think it was a couple of hours the last time I did it.

The u100 is free, as dunno mentioned, but will also require you to have some time to sit down in front of the computer to complete it.

https://usagym.org/pages/membership/pages/info_professional.html
  • Membership is valid for one competitive season
  • Current competitive season: August 1, 2014 through July 31, 2015
  • There is no pro-rating of membership fees
  • All fees and memberships are both non-refundable and non-transferable
This is from the USAG website. If you purchase your membership now, it will be valid for next season.
No. USAG membership expires July 31st, regardless of when you purchase it. So if you buy July 1st, you pay full price and it still expires at the end of the competitive season- July 31st.

That doesn't make any sense. What about those that have early August meets?

There must be a point before 8/1 that the memberships are valid for the following season. Otherwise, everyone that had August meets would be in a mad dash on 8/1 to renew and cause a massive headache for USAG.

From USAG website(click on the member services link):

The 2014-2015 Competitive Season Registration Is Now Open! Any members registered at this time will be current through 7-31-15.

Whew! I thought I was losing my mind. I had originally posted that I thought that I had gotten an email about registration being open for next season, but edited it when I couldn't find the email. :D

I thought that I was making things up in my head for a minute. Good to know that is didn't just pull it out of thin air and I did actually see it somewhere. LOL!

That doesn't make any sense. What about those that have early August meets?

There must be a point before 8/1 that the memberships are valid for the following season. Otherwise, everyone that had August meets would be in a mad dash on 8/1 to renew and cause a massive headache for USAG.
Yes, there is a brief period you can purchase membership ahead of time, but your previous comment made it sound as though any purchase of USAG membership later in the year would carry through the next competitive season, at least that's how I read it. If you purchase USAG membership in May for a post-state meet, you would still need to purchase again come August. I just wanted to clarify to save someone from paying the fee twice.

Oh. Sorry for that. Yeah. I just meant that if it were purchased now, it would be good for next season, as the info on the USAG website says that the current season is August 2014 to July 2015.

I don't know how you would go about getting a membership at this point for the purpose of a post season meet if you don't already have an existing membership, since the memberships that they are selling now are for next season.

From USAG website(click on the member services link):

The 2014-2015 Competitive Season Registration Is Now Open! Any members registered at this time will be current through 7-31-15.

yes, this is correct. thank you for getting that in here. i've been gone a couple days. :):)

Oh. Sorry for that. Yeah. I just meant that if it were purchased now, it would be good for next season, as the info on the USAG website says that the current season is August 2014 to July 2015.

I don't know how you would go about getting a membership at this point for the purpose of a post season meet if you don't already have an existing membership, since the memberships that they are selling now are for next season.

the change to 7/31 took place last year. there will no longer be this problem. it just gets close for those with elites. expiration is 7/31 and Championships is in August along with Congress. they have opened it now because it takes some time to accomplish all 4 prongs timely, although by now, everyone that previously had "Pro Member" status should already have taken the required and mandatory U100 course online.

The background check and safety cert are good for a few years (2ish maybe?) and no matter when in the year you take them the exp. date is July 31st. So it doesn't matter all that much when you get those done. The USAG membership is only from Aug. 1st-July 31st, regardless of when you register. So if you pay the $84 or whatever for a USAG pro membership in June, you'll be paying it again in August- but your background check, safety cert, and U100 will be good to go for the season. If your gym pays for it, it's not so much of a problem, but if you are in a situation where you need to pay for it yourself (like I am), it's silly to pay the fee twice within a few months.
My background check ran through super fast, but I guess it can be slower if there are a lot of other requests at the same time. When will your girls first meet be?

As a person who just did all the above, I need to clarify what you said. I waited until June 2 because that's when the dates for the "current season" switched to Aug 1, 2014-July 31, 2015. If you join now, it's for 14-15. I have my receipt to prove it. And it's actually on the USAG website that the new season is now open. So go ahead and begin. I also had my background check completed in a week, and took my safety certification class in a couple hours and the test in 6 1/2 minutes. AND you can now register online whether you are a first time pro member or returning, :) Very easy. The Pro membership needs to be renewed each year, the safety is 4 years and the background check is 2.

No. USAG membership expires July 31st, regardless of when you purchase it. So if you buy July 1st, you pay full price and it still expires at the end of the competitive season- July 31st.
No, this is incorrect.
Here is a portion of my receipt from June 2:

"Member TypeProfessional (PRO)
Expiration07/31/2015"
And it was only $84 online.

yes, you can do it now cause they opened it now for 14/15. everyone, including athletes expires 7/31. that will not change. that is new from the open registration they currently had.

no, that is correct. yes, you can do it now cause they opened it now for 14/15. everyone, including athletes expires 7/31. it is 7/31 from here on out so that everyone, including athletes expires at the same time. that will not change. that is new from the open registration year round they previously had. so if you decide to do it NOW you are good for the 14/15 season. if you do NOT decide to do it now you expire 7/31. understand?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back