WAG coaching credentials

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbeam

Proud Parent
out of curiosity, does a competitive gymnastics coach have to have competitive gymnastics experience? i kinda know that not all of them must be required to since there are so many young assistants that i have seen, but does there have to be at least someone in a gym with some accomplished gymnastics history?

Our owner and head coach never did gymnastics. He was recruited in college at a local gym to help spot bars because he was tall (no joke!). He fell in love with coaching, learned everything he could from other coaches, mentors, workshops, etc…. He is a great coach and I never would have known that he didn't have any experience with the sport if he hadn't told us.

Well I am in Canada and we have rules about attaining coaching credentials for the ability to coach at meets. But you do not have to have a gym background, you just have to pass the courses.

I know of a gym that has a cop and and insurance salesman as coaches, but they became certified to coach and they are coaches.

I also know of clubs that have accomplished World champion gymnasts from yore as coaches, that have no idea how to coach the kids of today. They have the same credentials as the cop and salesman.

So

Reactions: COz
No, of course not. Many coaches have never done gymnastics in their lives. Most have because that is what draws them to coach the sport. But many get I to it for other reasons. Often as a parent sitting on the sidelines.

interesting! i was told by another parent that you had to have been a gymnast at a level at or higher to what you're coaching. thanks for clearing it up. i knew i could get my answer here. :)

Maybe some gyms have that policy, but that is certainly not the law. I have known amazing coaches who can't even do a cartwheel. But they have an excellent understanding of the body and the physics of movement.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back