Parents College or Elite Gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JourneybyGrace

Proud Parent
My daughter is still young, 8 years old, just completed level 4, and is currently training at an elite gym. Her big goal is to compete in college one day. I do not really care for her to go elite and she does not either. Her gym has produced multiple olympians and that is their focus. I worry about the intense training and wonder if it would be in her best interest to go to another gym with a more college focus? She loves her gym now but I have heard horror stories about the optional levels that concern me and the gym doesn’t have the healthiest track record. Although they claim to have changed. I worry about her physical and mental health in the future and wonder if college gyms have a less intense atmosphere. Any advice?

If her trajectory puts her on place to be a L10 by her sophomore year than she would be on track to be recruited. If that gym has a history of placing gymnasts onto college teams than you are at a place to get her there.

I know your concern is more so if they train elite than they don't care about non-elites or the training is too hard/intense, but for the upper levels it is going to be intense no matter what, the upper level skills just require a lot more physically and mentally than anything she is doing now. Without someone here having first hand experience at those gyms and with those coaches we couldn't answer your question directly, just sort of speak in generalities.

If you were to explore other gyms than just make sure they have a track record placing athletes into college programs.

"Horror stories" about what goes on in the upper levels would concern me. What kind of horror are you talking about- body shaming? Name calling? Ignoring injuries? Overtraining? Do they ignore girls who aren't training Elite? Or is it more general stuff about how it's hard at the upper levels and some kids get burned out and leave? If she's happy with the gym now and doing well, I'd stay there but keep my eyes open for red flags down the road.

If her trajectory puts her on place to be a L10 by her sophomore year than she would be on track to be recruited. If that gym has a history of placing gymnasts onto college teams than you are at a place to get her there.

I know your concern is more so if they train elite than they don't care about non-elites or the training is too hard/intense, but for the upper levels it is going to be intense no matter what, the upper level skills just require a lot more physically and mentally than anything she is doing now. Without someone here having first hand experience at those gyms and with those coaches we couldn't answer your question directly, just sort of speak in generalities.

If you were to explore other gyms than just make sure they have a track record placing athletes into college programs.
They do get girls to college with full rides but it’s not their goal. My main concern is she’ll be level 10 by 7th or 8th grade and that could be hard on her body. I don’t want to say coaches names because they are well known and it’s mostly just hearing things through the rumor mill. Not sure how much to believe. I guess I just want to know other people’s experience with their own gyms and if you picked an elite gym or college gym. I’m obviously new and this is the only gym I’ve known and obviously the parents at the gym are their to get their daughters to elite and Olympics so I can’t really ask them.

"Horror stories" about what goes on in the upper levels would concern me. What kind of horror are you talking about- body shaming? Name calling? Ignoring injuries? Overtraining? Do they ignore girls who aren't training Elite? Or is it more general stuff about how it's hard at the upper levels and some kids get burned out and leave? If she's happy with the gym now and doing well, I'd stay there but keep my eyes open for red flags down the road.
Everything you said from body shaming to ignoring non elite and Olympic hopefuls. Although coaches claim it’s just girls being dramatic or sensitive and they’d never actually say or do that. Seems red flag though.

I'm not sure I would worry about it quite yet if you are happy with her current coaches and environment. There is a huge distance between level 4 at 8 years old and level 10. So much can change before then that it may not even be a concern.

But if you do have concerns now, are there other gyms nearby that are college focused? I know there was a thread not that long about being at an elite gym if your child wasn't training elite and the general consensus was that elite gyms were really only great for those training elite.

My daughter is at a college focused gym. Honestly until very recently, there wasn't even a choice, there was no elite training within 3 hours and even that was just a gym or two. But my daughter was never interested in that path anyway, so I'm quite happy that it wasn't offered. We have a ton of level 10s and, while they definitely train hard I don't think it's anywhere comparable to the intensity of a gym like yours. We are still very successful, but I imagine less stressful. In fact, we have 14 level 10s competing at Nationals this weekend, including my daughter! :)

I'm not sure I would worry about it quite yet if you are happy with her current coaches and environment. There is a huge distance between level 4 at 8 years old and level 10. So much can change before then that it may not even be a concern.

But if you do have concerns now, are there other gyms nearby that are college focused? I know there was a thread not that long about being at an elite gym if your child wasn't training elite and the general consensus was that elite gyms were really only great for those training elite.

My daughter is at a college focused gym. Honestly until very recently, there wasn't even a choice, there was no elite training within 3 hours and even that was just a gym or two. But my daughter was never interested in that path anyway, so I'm quite happy that it wasn't offered. We have a ton of level 10s and, while they definitely train hard I don't think it's anywhere comparable to the intensity of a gym like yours. We are still very successful, but I imagine less stressful. In fact, we have 14 level 10s competing at Nationals this weekend, including my daughter! :)
14 l10s competing at Nationals is certainly a successful gym!!

That is my thought. Keep her here unless we have a problem.
There are a few options actually. Other gyms that have girls going to westerns and nationals. They don’t produce as many D1 athletes but I just wonder if environment is better later on. I will be patient and see I guess. Maybe it’s all talk.

14 level 10s at nationals is amazing!!! I don’t think we have that many!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back