Gymnasts Competing after graduation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

0IDK0

Gymnast
Reaction score
I've been doing gymnastics ever since I was young, and I'm currently an Xcel Platinum. I've loved the sport for as long as I can remember. I'm torn between continuing to compete after this season, or stopping, since I'm about to graduate in 2 months and go to college in the fall. There are still a lot of skills that I want to accomplish, and I love the feeling of competing, but I'm afraid that I'll be too old for the sport. I wasn't sure where else to post this, but I just wanted some advice on what I should do.

I've been doing gymnastics ever since I was young, and I'm currently an Xcel Platinum. I've loved the sport for as long as I can remember. I'm torn between continuing to compete after this season, or stopping, since I'm about to graduate in 2 months and go to college in the fall. There are still a lot of skills that I want to accomplish, and I love the feeling of competing, but I'm afraid that I'll be too old for the sport. I wasn't sure where else to post this, but I just wanted some advice on what I should do.
Depending on where you live there are growing opportunities for adult gymnastics and you can continue Xcel as long as you want! I’ve seen Xcel definitely through college so it could work whether you wanna stay in Xcel through college then go to adult gymnastics or make the transition sooner!

I made the choice this year to stay another year after graduation and it was the best choice for me. I do feel old at times but honestly I have accomplished so much that I wouldn’t have gotten the chance too.

There are still a lot of skills that I want to accomplish, and I love the feeling of competing, but I'm afraid that I'll be too old for the sport.
I've started gymnastics age 24, and am now hoping to start competing next year age 27.
Chusovitina just became national champion age 48.
You are never too old for gymnastics.

However, I can get being worried about training or competing with girls that are a lot younger. For training: at least for the first years I wouldn't worry too much about it. The difference between 18 year old seniors and 19 or 20 year olds really isn't that big probably, and it can be fun too to be a bit ahead and tell people all about the cool experiences that are in store for them if they ask about it.
When it comes to competing, I don't know how the US system works. Again, at first I don't think there'll be a big difference. But when you're getting into 21+ ages you may want to look into adult competition options if you still find yourself competing against 17 year olds.

But that's the thing: there are adult competetive options in the US when the time comes. I really wouldn't worry about the age thing. If and when it becomes uncomfortable, you'll notice and you can make a change when that time comes (to an adult option either for training or for competing or both).

maybe do college club gymnastics (naigc) if your college offers it? i am also currently a platinum, but next year i am a senior and possibly thinking of doing naigc in college after next season!

It’s inspiring to hear how much gymnastics has been a part of your life! As you're graduating soon, maybe consider transitioning to a more flexible role in the sport, like coaching or joining a club team in college. This way, you can stay involved without the pressure of high-level competition. Also, don't worry about age—plenty of athletes continue their passion well into adulthood. Follow what feels right for you!

P.S. You could even customize your graduation stole to celebrate your gymnastics journey—adding that personal touch would make it even more special!

In Australia, it’s very common to continue training and competing and moving up the levels with your club after graduation.

Students don’t tend to go away to College, but live at home and attend University locally.

All the other things they did in High School can just carry on as normal.

I think it’s a very positive thing for young people heading into the next phase of their life. It keeps some things consistent and stable when everything else is changing.

It is very strange that in the US clubs often kicks them out when they graduate.

There is really almost no difference between teaching adults and older teens.

In fact as gymnasts enter adulthood they tend to be easier to coach in many ways. This is what we see in adults in gymnastics here.

Adults are often easier to coach because they don’t have all the teen stuff going on. There are there because they want to learn.

Adults tend to have much lower injury rates than pre teens and teens. Mainly because pre teens and teens are going through massive physical changes, while adults bones and muscles have stoped growing and are set and strong.

Adults often tend to learn skills easier than teens and pre teens. Partly because their body has stopped growing so it’s easier to gain and keep strength and skills don’t have to readjust every time they grow and partly because of a greater depth of understanding of concepts and language.

Adults tend to have less fear issues than teens and pre teens. Because in the teen and pre teen years the brain is more hormonal, and adjusting to new ways of thinking.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back