Competitions and routines?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Just a question i have only just started competitive gymnastics (like this term) and i just found out that we have to select our own music but i know that i am in lv 4 open and apparently we are supposed to have our own floor music and routine with required elements. can someone please explain this - i am in australia in state stream and im really confused

Hi, yep in level 4 you choose your own music and have your own routine in australia. basically there are required elements you your coach will make up a routine around these elements.

They are pretty basic in level 4,

Your routine must contain 2 tumble runs. 1 is a cartwheel, cartwheel series. and the other 1 is a round off

You also need either a back walkover, a front walkover, a tic toc or a backward roll to front support. Just one of those

A full turn on 1 foot

A jump full turn

and a leap series with 2 180 degree split leaps.

I'm not sure how it works in your state but then there are bonus skills like a front handspring instead of the cartwheel cartwheel but most states dont do that for state levels.

For your music it needs to be any piece with no words. Usually for level 4 you want it to be about a minute to a minute and 10 seconds long.

If you have trouble finding something you like why not ask your coach. They will probably have lots of pieces you can listen too and choose from.

Hi, yep in level 4 you choose your own music and have your own routine in australia. basically there are required elements you your coach will make up a routine around these elements.

They are pretty basic in level 4,

Your routine must contain 2 tumble runs. 1 is a cartwheel, cartwheel series. and the other 1 is a round off

You also need either a back walkover, a front walkover, a tic toc or a backward roll to front support. Just one of those

A full turn on 1 foot

A jump full turn

and a leap series with 2 180 degree split leaps.

I'm not sure how it works in your state but then there are bonus skills like a front handspring instead of the cartwheel cartwheel but most states dont do that for state levels.

For your music it needs to be any piece with no words. Usually for level 4 you want it to be about a minute to a minute and 10 seconds long.

If you have trouble finding something you like why not ask your coach. They will probably have lots of pieces you can listen too and choose from.
With the bonus skills are there set bonus's because im round off flipping and will be round off flip saulting by competition season and could possibly get handspring front. the only reason i am in lv 4 state as opposed to 5 is that my beam and bars is not up to it. Also is the lv 4 vault hs flatback because i can handspring over the vault - does this mean i can't compete these skills or can i if i use it as a bonus.

Yea i just got my Round off flip sault at gym so thats going to suck if i can't compete it

well round off flic sault, and handspring front sault used to be bonus's but they have been removed for 2010.

The bonus's for level 4 are

1. Front handspring instead of the cartwheel cartwheel

2. Round off flic instead of round off

3. Run punch front sault (not instead of anything just a stand alone bonus)

4. Back extention roll to handstands - instead of walkover or back roll to front support.

5. Change leg split leap (stand alone bonus)

6. B value turn. example double turn instead of full turn.

Most of those bonuses are not in state level 4.

bonuses on floor are very limmited (which I think is a bit silly... IMO they should encourage a bit more in the dance department).
The only ones you can do are round-off flip, handspring rebound and a 'B' turn.

It depends what state you live in. Australia has only 2 programs they are the international program and the national program. If a state wants to have an easier version they design their own individual state program. So every state is different. Some states don't have state levels at all.

Do you know what its like for NSW?? because if its what u said before i could use 4 of those six bonuses

Unfortunately there are no bonus points allowed in Level 4 state stream in NSW, you can do the bonus skills instead of the core skills but they are worth nothing. It sounds like you level is quite a bit above state level 4 if you have 4 of the bonus skills. Perhaps the national stream would be better for you. Or perhaps state level 5. Of course this is your coaches decision and I have not seen any of your skills so don't take my word for gospel.

Yea my floor is up to level 5 standard however my bars are terrible i can't kip, my cast is quite bad but definitely improving, can't tuck on (haven't tried) no long hang pullover (haven't tried) so bars is definitely lagging behind beam i don't know the requirements but i can punch front dismount and cartwheel and will probably bwo by the time comp starts and vault i am handspring-ing over so basically my bars and possibly beam is lagging. Also National lv 4/5 is compiled of really little kids like oldest yr 7 and im in yr 9 and i used to train with them for one day coz i couldnt train with my squad and i felt really out of place but the open lv 4/5 are mainly yr 7,8,9 and with a few yr 4,5,6 and because i am mainly in gym for fun competitive experience and don't plan on going elite as i have several other hobbies i think the state stream is right but i just need to work on bars and beam and maybe i can compete state lv 5

Ahh well that makes a lot of sense. Its often the way that bars is a different standard to the other apparatus. We often either have kids who are behind the other apparatus on bars or ahead of the other apparatus on bars.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back