WAG Competitions, what size?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

lovegymnastics

Gymnast
Reaction score
As I was waching youtube clips, I found that the competitionshalls are very large in the USA. And I tought I have read that 100 competitors arn't unusual.
Well, my competitions are way smaller. Mostly 20/30 gymnast.
So I thought it would be fun to hear how big your meets are. Please also give an indication of where you live.:)

A typical meet that we attend is about 250 to 350 kids over the weekend. And that is just compulsories or just optionals. Our seasons are split because of the volume of kids. Compulsories are from september to November and optionals are from Jan to May.
Our State is also split in half, (north Cali and south Cali) And southern Cali is actually split it Two as well for compulsories!
So we had a state meet in southern cali, South Section for level 4,5,6 with over 800 kids! Then in the spring we have a state meet for level 7's and xcel (400 kids) , then we have a another state meet for level 8,9,10. (around 400).

but there are also age divisions right? I mean its not like kid is going to be 357st? I compete against the other gymnast who are going to be 16 or older by the end of the year and are `nivo 3`, than we have regionals-1\4 finals-1\2 finals- nationals

But then... My country is proberaly 10 times as small as Callifornia. ;p

Our "in house" meet was 550. Our invitational was 1850.

There is a trend where many gyms are choosing to host large invitationals, vs "in house" meets. Big meets, in big venues, like college arenas, sports venues, etc.. There are prizes offered if you bring x number of gymnasts, like sting mats, TVs, etc.. Prizes if you registrar early, travel the furthest, etc... Custom made medal and trophies, leotards for the gymnast gift, etc...

but there are also age divisions right? I mean its not like kid is going to be 357st? I compete against the other gymnast who are going to be 16 or older by the end of the year and are `nivo 3`, than we have regionals-1\4 finals-1\2 finals- nationals

yes, and when people are giving you total number of competitors, that's for the entire meet....each session might have 70-80 kids at max. There are age groups within that, so no, gymnasts should not be coming in 357th ;)

Our in state meets are pretty small 250-300 girls but when we go out of state they are huge 1000-2000 girls in four days.

We are in a smaller area actually and we still have quite a few local qualifying meets that get upwards of 500 kids. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact the gyms around here compete starting at level 2 now the new level 1. That makes for a lot of kids.

In the Caribbean our meets may range from 75 - 300 maybe. The meets with 200 - 300 are when clubs come from outside of the Caribbean, which isn't that common. Our Caribbean meets include levels 1 - 8 usually - if there's level 9 or 10 there may only be 1 or 2 competitors. Most of our gymnasts are (old) level 7 and under. i.e. they are primarily compulsory meets with one session of optionals.

When we compete in Puerto Rico or the U.S. we usually go to the bigger meets, so we may be talking about 1,500 - 3,000, depending.

In each session I have been at meets where it can be as low as 20 gymnast to as high as 80ish I know the bigger meets can have that doubled in a session with "flights" So Flight A and Flight B going at the same time both with 80 + kids can be a lot. the average I would say for the meets we have been to is about 50 per session. It will depend too on the area you live in. The areas with more gymnastics usually have more gymnasts where areas with less gyms will have less.

==
Yes, levels and ages.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back