Gymnasts Competitive Parents and Gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

gymnast17

Gymnast
Reaction score
How do I tell a coach that parents and my own teammates are being so competitive? For example, MS (S’s mom) and S have always had some rivalry with me. Last year at one of the meets, I scored a 9.5 on VT, and she scored a 9.55. The first thing she said when she saw her score was “Ha I scored 0.5 higher than you”. I’ve never brought up my scores to anyone. I used to be the high scorer, but this season was different and I wasn’t anymore. Even at states, I didn’t do my best and scored low on everything. She came up to me next practice and said “I scored better than you on everything, even beam” Her mom also went up to mines and said “I can’t believe my daughter did better than yours at states”. My mom just left it and told me to leave it too. But I’ve heard her say this to other YOUNGER kids too. , a literal 10 year old. I would expect this behavior from a 8-10 year old, but not a teenager. How should I tell coach, or should I even tell her since it involves a parent?

"Let it go, let it go
Can't hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door
I don't care what they're going to say
Let the storm rage on
The cold never bothered me anyway"
There will always be people like this. There really isn't anything you can do about it, so don't pay any attention to it.
A few years ago, we had 2 girls on our team that had a rivalry ... but they were also friends.
The one friend was usually the higher scorer, but occasionally the other one outscored her on an event or 2. THEN, in Level 6, they were really, really close in scores (their personal best event scores both added up to the same potential all around score).
The first gymnast quit. The other gymnast went to Level 7. She, too, quit a year later.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back