Coaches Conditioning during injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nevertooold

We have a level 7/8 gymnast who will be returning to practice next week with a cast from wrist to elbow.

We will have her continue to come in for stretching/conditioning about 2 hrs. per day 4x a week to start. Supposed to be in cast for 4 weeks.

We are making a plan for her that will include any of our usual conditioning that she is able to do, but have not had a gymnast in this type of cast before.

Would appreciate any advice from others who have continued to condition/train a gymnast with this cast.

Thank you in advance.

Fist stick with whatever the PT says do. Things to keep in mind would be as follows:

Squeeze a ball
have a weight on the end of a rope tied to a stick and roll the weight up and down with the arms straight. (keep the weight light)

Put a hand towel on a flat surface and roll it up with just the fingers.

Any band work that can be done while rolling the wrists around.

There are a lot more but these are the simplest ones that came to mind from when one girls fly away took my thumb with her. :)

Fist stick with whatever the PT says do. Things to keep in mind would be as follows:

Squeeze a ball
have a weight on the end of a rope tied to a stick and roll the weight up and down with the arms straight. (keep the weight light)

Put a hand towel on a flat surface and roll it up with just the fingers.

Any band work that can be done while rolling the wrists around.

There are a lot more but these are the simplest ones that came to mind from when one girls fly away took my thumb with her. :)

You mean these for after the cast is off right?

Thank you but also I am looking for ideas of things she can do while the cast is still on.

We will go through all the usual conditioning and stretching and figure out what she can and cannot reasonably do, just have not had this particular size arm cast in the gym before. Wondering things like will the cast be too heavy to do arch rocks, will it be too awkward to do candlestick jumps etc. from someone who has worked with a gymnast in this cast before.

You mean these for after the cast is off right?

Thank you but also I am looking for ideas of things she can do while the cast is still on.

We will go through all the usual conditioning and stretching and figure out what she can and cannot reasonably do, just have not had this particular size arm cast in the gym before. Wondering things like will the cast be too heavy to do arch rocks, will it be too awkward to do candlestick jumps etc. from someone who has worked with a gymnast in this cast before.

A lot of ab and core work if they are still wearing a cast. Our gym has a "I hurt my ___" list. You pick which body part is hurt and do the conditioning under that set. If it is hands or arms, there are plenty of leg and core exercises as well as flex that can be done.

If the cast is too heavy to sit up with, do the core exercises with the bottom half of the body. i.e. leg lifts and such.

It really depends on what the doctor says she can/can't do with the cast. If she is really limited, basic leg and core exercises would probably be best. Sit-ups, V-ups, hollow holds, arch holds, arch ups, lots of stretching, lunges, heel and toe raises, wall sits, standing leg lifts (lightly touch a block/beam to balance and hold leg out to the front, side, and back for 30-60 seconds then switch legs), just the basic stuff that wouldn't bump the arm around too much.
If she has a little more flexibility from the doctors, you could do block jumps, squat jumps, candlestick jump ups (on one leg or both), various sprinting exercises, jumps on the trampoline, lie across a vault/pommel horse on your stomach and lift legs up in an arch, jump roping.
Does your gym use therabands? You could work leg kicks using one of those.
Here are some sites where I get some conditioning ideas for my girls, maybe they'll be able to help you out. It's hard to find a good variety when they are limited.
The Skills and Drills Page - Gymnastics Technique and Training
Combat Fitness - Calisthenic isometric bodyweight training exercises (under exercises)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back