Parents Confidence shattered

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Rapunzel

Proud Parent
My eldest (9) has a 4 piece comp coming up (it's local, not-grades) - she was all excited and keen. Her coaches had really boosted her up, telling her how well she can do and using her to demonstrate etc. Then they realised she's a year older than they thought, so she has to change her routines for all 4 pieces! A completely new vault she's never done before, as well as skills she has done but hasn't worked on for a while because they've been focusing on the comp, lots of other new skills too. But she's just been so sad! Her confidence seems shattered and she has such a short time before the comp. I've told her the results don't matter.
Any other tips on how I can boost her?

Aw Bless

No tips, but stuff happens - our coach got the beam routine requirements wrong for our girls once, so they didn't have the required A mount and were docked severely, tell her its not her fault and to just treat it as fun.

That is so hard but it happens. When DD first started we got to our very first competition and found out that we had part of the floor routine wrong. The coaches told all of the girls right then what to change and to do their best. Amazingly everyone remembered the change. Very stressful!

I feel for you and hope the changes aren't too severe! A couple weeks before my daughters first meet the team found out they needed another bar skill that they'd never been introduced to...really?! And then the practice right before the meet they found out they needed a back walkover instead of a bridge kickover, again something they'd never worked on. Definitely stressful!

Her bar routine now has a leap to the high bar which she's never done - she has done her straddle undershoot dismount from low but now it's from the high.
Then her floor isn't too severe, but she hasn't worked on her back walkover for a while.
Beam - again it's stuff she hasn't worked on for a while, it's going to be either fwd roll or cartwheel added in. But the dismount is completely new to her.
Vault - completely new. It had taken her ages to master the HS flat back and now it's a front HS.
At least we found out before the day! That would have been very stressful.

Going through the exact same thing with DDs comp tomorrow, completely different floor routine and she was only told on Monday.
I just keep telling her she'll just have to do her best but I'll be proud of her regardless of the outcome...

DD's first ever competition the coach didn't put a skill in on beam- they all got deducted 4.0 for a short routine and lost all their connection/required element bonuses. DD had a lovely clean comp too and likely would have made top 6 AA.

I'd maybe just tell DD that her aims are to go and have fun, get experience and try her new routines. Get a base score to try and better next comp. As long as she comes out feeling she did the best she could then it's all good.

I've heard many a tale of last minute routines and skills scoring well though, seems to focus them sometimes :)

Good luck to her, sounds like a nice low level comp, wish we had that sort of thing.

It's good to hear that others have experienced it too.
She is excited about her new bar skills so I'm trying to give her the positives about doing cool new stuff.
Faith - that's a huge deduction, I did wonder if it was worth her doing her old floor routine really well but that does sound like a big loss - is that a standard for a missed element or 2?

Going through the exact same thing with DDs comp tomorrow, completely different floor routine and she was only told on Monday.
I just keep telling her she'll just have to do her best but I'll be proud of her regardless of the outcome...
Hope it goes well for her this weekend.

I had a quick chat with her coaches when I dropped her off earlier and feel a lot better. I think it's my confidence that's been knocked too! :oops:
Dd had said to one of them that she didn't want to do the comp anymore so they know how she's feeling a bit worried. They're trying to find an extra slot for them for the next few weeks but they know she can do it and will persuade DD that she can!

The competition is this weekend. She can do all the required skills but she's not had time to polish them. They haven't managed any extra sessions until this week, where they got an extra 2hrs. Those 2hrs, she came out buzzing, really happy and enthusiastic. Session tonight, not so much - back to wanting to pull out. I've told her its just for fun and all the rest of it but she seems to have found a desire to win.
Wish us luck, I'm looking forward to seeing it all as I've only seen a bit of beam and bars.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back