Parents COTC--not pretty....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Swiftli

Proud Parent
Let's start out with the good news....meeting some fellow CB'ers was kinda cool. I sorta felt like a stalker asking people in the crowd if they were Nettyinpa....LOL

I can see much improvement in my DD's routines but you would never know it if you looked at the scores. She managed a 31.175....good enough for sectionals qualification...so we'll take it. However....there are parts of her routines where I KNOW she can do so much better but I just wasn't seeing the fire in her. For instance, her straddle jump in the beginning on floor looked almost half-hearted. Maybe by prepping her that the meet was scoring low could have adversely affected her?

Out of the three lvl 6 sessions, I think we drew the short stick..lol. We had in our session....some REALLY great teams...including three of the top four teams of the total meet. Plus....not as lucky with the age grouping as Netty....DD was in the 9 & under group instead of 8 & under. There was this really good team from NJ. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it the end of the season for NJ teams? They seemed to walk away with all the 9's :p.

Whenever I go to tough USAG meets, I think to myself....do I have her where she needs to be? Our gym is ALWAYS middle of the pack in USAG meets. We are a YMCA program and in the YMCA meets our girls normally walk away with the meets and the competition is so limited. I think our girls get a false sense of security and then get slammed with reality in the big USAG meets and their morale gets shaken. So I constantly question myself...do I continue where she is or move her to a pure USAG gym.

O well...next meet is after the new year...so onto the merriment of team party's and holiday breaks...

Last edited:
My DD's former gym goes to COTC and the big complaint is that the judging is lower that what they are used to here in NJ. Former gym did compete there, L6 & up and I saw some good scores and some not so good ones this year. One L6 I know got as low as a 5.8 on floor, OUCH! So, I would try not to let this meet get you or DD down, as long as you are continuing to see improvement. I hear its a nice and well run meet, but parents and out of state gymnast are preped about the scores, LOL

Glad your DD got her sectional score, that is probably some pressure off her so she can enjoy the team parties and fun and worry about next meet after the holidays!

It's always tough when the scores are low and you come up against mega gyms.
I guess it's all part of the learning curve. Good that you are seeing some improvements and that she got her sectional score.

Hope she has fun with her team at the party!

This is a tough meet, no matter what gym you are in. My DD is in a USAG gym that competes a lot and our entire level 4 didn't do very well here....

NJ season is well under way with level 5/6 States at the end of January....when is your States for level6? NJ has 4/5/6 doing a fall season September - January/February and all optionals doing a winter/spring season with States in April/May...

our season in PA for all levels starts about late November and concludes in Apr/May. So we are really just getting started.

Sounds like not many people did well. Especially tough to see them doing worse than bigger gyms--but remember you chose the gym for really good reasons--are those reasons still valid or is your daughter interested in a more competitive (and, yes, tougher) program? I know our compulsory season here in Minnesota is at an end too.

I swear, I can't keep up with all the meet reports. :D

Congrats to your DD for qualifying for sectionals! That always seems like a big weight lifted off their shoulders. Glad we don't have those things here. Must have less gymmies here or something.

That meet sounded like tough judging from all the meet reports. As long as it is consistent though, it is usually okay.

As for the YMCA vs. USAG thing, as long as she is happy and progressing I wouldn't worry. Does your DD seem to want to do MORE? I would guess the USAG program practices more, is more intense, etc. I wish we had those kind of programs here. We only have USAG, our Y discontinued the gym program a few years ago because they said gymnastics was too competitive for the Y philosophy. It was not pretty either because the teams had no warning, just a note on their door saying there was no longer team there. If she seems to want MORE, then maybe checking out a USAG program wouldn't hurt, but if not, then you just have to take the bigger meets as they are and know that it isn't a level playing field, have fun and move on. :D

First off a huge Congrats to your dd on qualifing for sectionals! Sounds like a tough meet and l6 in itself is rough .There is nothing wrong with being middle of the pack has long as she is happy and remberer alot of girls are on the lower end in compulsary and do great in optionals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back