Could Jordyn do it in 2016?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There has not been an Olympic all-around champion that was older than 20 since the 1960s. Could Jordyn do it? Does anyone think she'll try?

Hard to say really, gymnastics is so hard on the body and mind.

We saw Nastia, Alicia and Shawn try a come back, not an easy road at all.

I was thinking, when watching yesterday and last night, how these girls really only have one shot...and how it can all go up in smoke, just like that. They are trained to peak at a certain time. Another chance is not out of the realm of possibility, but is so hard to do. To train another 4 years, at that level and intensity...I can only imagine the risk of injury, total and utter burnout, etc. I'm sure it can be done, but I think the odds of all the stars aligning to make it through another 4 years while still being Olympic caliber is a very rare occurrence. And I think Jordyn is amazing and hope she and the rest of the girls come out strong and win a team gold for the USA tomorrow :)

She could! Maybe not for the all-around, but for two events, definitely a possibility (if she wanted to and was lucky and didn't have too many injuries). This looks like the Year Of The Returning Champs so far - Sandra Izbasa, Catalina Ponor, He Kexin, Ksenia Afanasyeva, Chuso (of course), Beth Tweddle, Deng Linlin, and Vanessa Ferrari are all former Olympians who have qualified to one or more event final. Silly US, you should have sent Sacramone. Now you're the odd one out.

Not sure if she could do it, or even if she would want to. Only time will tell.

But I could see her at least trying. For the same reason Shawn tried. Unfinished business.

There has not been an Olympic all-around champion that was older than 20 since the 1960s. Could Jordyn do it? Does anyone think she'll try?

Maybe not, but realistically there wouldn't be that much of an age difference between her in 2016 and Nastia in 2008. However, Nastia was trained to peak at that time so it's a little bit of a different story. It's pretty hard to predict these things. It is possible, but it is a long road after already peaking once. Injury will be a major factor. Geddert and Jordyn are smart. They have planned this carefully already once. If they try again they'll be equally smart. But it's a big sacrifice for her socially, emotionally entering adulthood.

i'm doubtful. Even if she could continue training at that level for the next 4 years, there a lot of young ones coming up the ranks that will have a much better shot for all-around position. She may be able to come in as a veteran/leader for 1-2 events but that's about it. And even there, I am doubtful - doesn't seem to be the way with the US.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back