Dance lessons for gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just have a question....my daughter is new to gymnastics (only been in for 1 year now)...Many of our girls have a lot of dance experience, and I notice that my daughter has difficulty in this area. My dd has mentioned to me that she would like to look into taking dance lessons. Does anyone else have a gymnast who also takes dance, and if so, does it help? Thanks for any information.

It's probably a good idea, especially for building flexibility and control. I would recommend ballet but if you get a good class in other forms of dance I'm sure it would be helpful too. If she is interested and you can afford it time and money wise, I'd definitely go for it. Not just from an improving gymnastics standpoint but if she likes it and wants to do it maybe it is something she wants to pursue when she gets older.

Yes, my dd started out in cheer so she got some dance experience from that before switching to gymnastics. She started taking ballet about 3 years ago along with the gymnastics and I feel that it has helped tremendously. I would let your dd do the dance class especially since she is the one who is requesting it and is showing an interest in it.

I have been wondering about dance too. I feel my dd likes is getting more interested in dance since starting gymnastics and would probably like to take a class this summer but I don't think she would enjoy ballet classes. Any other options?

I loveee dance im also a gymnast (duh) lol and it helps tons especially with pointed toes and form. I do contemporary which is jazz and ballet mixed i think this is probs a better style of dance for older girls though :)

I have been wondering about dance too. I feel my dd likes is getting more interested in dance since starting gymnastics and would probably like to take a class this summer but I don't think she would enjoy ballet classes. Any other options?

My daughter wanted to try dance so we put her in ballet and she hated it. I asked her dance coach at the gym and he said put her in a jazz class and it's done wonders with her presentation since she started. She's still not quite a dancer, but she's much less of a robot and actually smiled during her floor routine at states (shock and disbelief). :eek:

I agree--for the younger ones jazz is a better fit because it is more "fun" for them and the movement and steps are a little easier. Ballet can be boring and more technical and attention is needed to get the most out of ballet. My dd didn't start getting serious into ballet until this past year (11 YO). But she was taking a one hour class once a week for the past 3 years. Even the one class a week helps with posture and toe point.

I would definately say having dance lessons would be a benefit. You can always tell a dancer by the way they carry their head and shoulders far better than "just gymnasts" who always tend to have their shoulders up by their ears and their chins down or pointing straight up at the ceiling. Helps with better flowing arms as well.

I think it's a really good idea! Especially in routine time as they can intergate moves into beam and floor. Our head coach actually used to have a ballet coach come and do ballet with the team (this was 10 years ago. I was 3 years old, my other coach told me about this.), but my coach wouldn't let her come anymore as she was absolutly, totally and completely nuts.

Well, my daughter did try a class tonight...It was a hip hop class, and while that may not have been my first choice, that was the only class available until new enrollment in January.. She actually loved it, and it seems like a good way to teach your body to move in a completely different way!! Everyone was SUPER impressed in her dance class that she "had" all of her splits....that's gymnastics training for you!! :)

Well, my daughter did try a class tonight...It was a hip hop class, and while that may not have been my first choice, that was the only class available until new enrollment in January.. She actually loved it, and it seems like a good way to teach your body to move in a completely different way!! Everyone was SUPER impressed in her dance class that she "had" all of her splits....that's gymnastics training for you!! :)

Sounds like it'll be great. Any dance class will help her with her movement expression and confidence to really perform choregraphy in front of people.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back