WAG DC-area gym recommendations?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

H.J.

Proud Parent
Who's the CB gym-recommendation guru? I recall a suggestion to someone else looking for gym recs to private message this person but I can't remember the name. We're moving from Kansas to the DC area this summer and will most likely be looking for a new gym family for DD. She's 10 and is L5, training for L7 (at least at her current gym). Thanks!

Sportsplex at PG Sports and Learning in Landover, MD... Fairland at the Fairland Sports and Aquatic Complex in Laurel, MD.

If you will live more in the Montgomery County area there are other options. I'm MAG, not WAG, so I've exhausted my resources... except for Hills, but if you truly live closer to D.C., that place may be too far, especially considering traffic (Gaithersburg, MD).

Sportsplex at PG Sports and Learning in Landover, MD... Fairland at the Fairland Sports and Aquatic Complex in Laurel, MD.

If you will live more in the Montgomery County area there are other options. I'm MAG, not WAG, so I've exhausted my resources... except for Hills, but if you truly live closer to D.C., that place may be too far, especially considering traffic (Gaithersburg, MD).

Thank you! It's looking like we might end up in Silver Spring -- know anything about Silver Stars? Not 100% though so wanting several options to look in to.

If you are more on the Maryland side, Hills or Sportsplex. If you are more on the Virginia side, Capitol. Good luck with your move!

Thank you so much! If you'd indulge me, how would you characterize the difference(s) between Hills and Sportsplex?

Thank you so much! If you'd indulge me, how would you characterize the difference(s) between Hills and Sportsplex?
I am definitely not an expert on either gym but from what I hear, Hills is overall stronger. They have more higher level girls go on to college gymnastics. However, we have a friend who went to Sportsplex and is doing extremely well and are very happy there. I don't know much about them past that though. :/ I am more familiar with the Virginia side of the border... LOL

Hills is private, owned by Kelli Hill who coached Dominique Dawes.

Sportsplex is public; one of two public gyms in MD. Of the two public gyms, it is the more well funded one. It is in a very nice facility, very competitive. They have both Xcel and JO, though as far as I understand there is not really upward movement from Xcel to JO there. Once Xcel, you stay there... I THINK.

I know two girls on the Xcel program there, and take adult classes there myself.

Just adding a few more gyms Dynamite, Mar Va Tots and Teens and YMCA Bethesda that are closer to Silver Spring.

Our daughters are at Silver Stars and have really enjoyed it. They've combined the Silver Spring and Bowie teams to be more competitive.

Happy to share more information

I have it on good authority that the coaches at Hills do not specialize in " warm and fuzzy". Esp in the upper levels. It is, though, probably the best gym in MD. But your gymmie better have a thick skin. I think the Sportsplex coaches are a little less tough. I do know Dunno often recommends Marvateens. I will say, Marvateens girls score very well. There is also a new gym in Gaithersburg area - Dobre gymnastics. A lot of Hills girls moved there - they do very well, too.

Then if you are willing to drive, there is First Class and Beach Bounders

I'm currently living in the NOVA side of DC and would agree Capital is the more successful gym, however they are selective and may not necessarily allow your gymnast to progress to L7. Depending on where you live, also look at the Arlington Aerials. A fit farther from DC is Apollo in Woodbridge, VA. The gym also has a good reputation and performing well at meets at the higher levels. Cardinal Gymnastics is another gym but I don't know much about them and they don't seem to go to the same meets as us. We go to Fairfax Gymnastics and my daughter loves it there, however they are a super small gym (2 coaches for all levels). Good luck!

Apollo is great... but living in Silver Spring makes it an hour drive if you're lucky. I've never had to drive there except on a Saturday morning, and the hour was spot on.

Capital is not warm and fuzzy either. They are selective and competitive. The training is very good. It just all depends on what environment you are looking for.

Just adding a few more gyms Dynamite, Mar Va Tots and Teens and YMCA Bethesda that are closer to Silver Spring.

Our daughters are at Silver Stars and have really enjoyed it. They've combined the Silver Spring and Bowie teams to be more competitive.

Happy to share more information

Thanks! What levels are your daughters? Could I PM you for more info. on Silver Stars?

I'm currently living in the NOVA side of DC and would agree Capital is the more successful gym, however they are selective and may not necessarily allow your gymnast to progress to L7. Depending on where you live, also look at the Arlington Aerials. A fit farther from DC is Apollo in Woodbridge, VA. The gym also has a good reputation and performing well at meets at the higher levels. Cardinal Gymnastics is another gym but I don't know much about them and they don't seem to go to the same meets as us. We go to Fairfax Gymnastics and my daughter loves it there, however they are a super small gym (2 coaches for all levels). Good luck!

Thank you! Our gym has 2 coaches for L3-9 ... I think it's a bit problematic, personally. If you click and speak the same teaching/learning language, then great, but if you don't, you're kinda screwed. :) My daughter has been fortunate and has gotten along with them pretty well but others haven't.

Capital is not warm and fuzzy either. They are selective and competitive. The training is very good. It just all depends on what environment you are looking for.

I don't need warm and fuzzy, but positive and motivational would be nice. Are those the same thing? I'd like to think not -- we have one coach who is super tough and strict but somehow manages to be motivational and encouraging at the same time. We have another one who is tough and strict but just comes across as mean and punitive (to me, at least). Different strokes for different folks, I s'pose.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back