WAG DC-area gym recommendations?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm currently living in the NOVA side of DC and would agree Capital is the more successful gym, however they are selective and may not necessarily allow your gymnast to progress to L7. Depending on where you live, also look at the Arlington Aerials. A fit farther from DC is Apollo in Woodbridge, VA. The gym also has a good reputation and performing well at meets at the higher levels. Cardinal Gymnastics is another gym but I don't know much about them and they don't seem to go to the same meets as us. We go to Fairfax Gymnastics and my daughter loves it there, however they are a super small gym (2 coaches for all levels). Good luck!

I have it on good authority that the coaches at Hills do not specialize in " warm and fuzzy". Esp in the upper levels. It is, though, probably the best gym in MD. But your gymmie better have a thick skin. I think the Sportsplex coaches are a little less tough. I do know Dunno often recommends Marvateens. I will say, Marvateens girls score very well. There is also a new gym in Gaithersburg area - Dobre gymnastics. A lot of Hills girls moved there - they do very well, too.

Then if you are willing to drive, there is First Class and Beach Bounders

Thank you very much for this info! Hadn't heard of MarVateens or Dobre until now, so will look into those!

Hills is private, owned by Kelli Hill who coached Dominique Dawes.

Sportsplex is public; one of two public gyms in MD. Of the two public gyms, it is the more well funded one. It is in a very nice facility, very competitive. They have both Xcel and JO, though as far as I understand there is not really upward movement from Xcel to JO there. Once Xcel, you stay there... I THINK.

I know two girls on the Xcel program there, and take adult classes there myself.

If you don't mind I might PM you for more info. on Sportsplex.

I am definitely not an expert on either gym but from what I hear, Hills is overall stronger. They have more higher level girls go on to college gymnastics. However, we have a friend who went to Sportsplex and is doing extremely well and are very happy there. I don't know much about them past that though. :/ I am more familiar with the Virginia side of the border... LOL

Thanks! Would you mind PMing me contact info. for your friend whose daughter goes to Sportsplex? An email address maybe?

We live in the D.C. Area, north of Montgomery county. We train at Frederick gymnastics, which is about 45 min from Rockville.. but against traffic. It's a good gym where girls get scholarships to college, but no elite program. Honestly the best gyms in the area that are in Maryland are Hills, Dobre, Frederick, and Sportsplex. However, many of the smaller gyms have amazing teams and coaches too. Hills isn't a lovey gym, they are tough on the girls in the upper levels (5+).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back