Parents DD can't do a leglift.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomtotwo

Proud Parent
That is it in a nutshell. 6 year old DD was invited to start a TOPs group. Can do all of the level 4 skills well and is currently training for 5 (new 4). Anyway, come to see when I am picking her up. She can't do it. She can get up to about a L position. She can do a bunch of strenth conditioning pullups, v ups tons of stuff. It seems like such a huge gap to have. How will she ever do a kip? I know they are working on them, but I never see bars because they do it in the middle of practice. The other kids all seem to be able to do it. I'm worried. Talk me down from being a crazy gym mom. is this typical. She has a ton of skills for a 6 year old, but how will she ever do bars?

Are you sure she can't EVER do a leg lift? Maybe she was just tired at the end of practice. Maybe she had already done a bunch of them throughout the practice? Maybe you already asked her. I just couldn't tell from your post. :)

You need more than ab strength to do the leg lift - you are engaging the hip flexors as well. Don't worry, she will get it. She has to keep working on it. At first, she will need someone to give her a little lift to get her legs all the way up, but in no time this will be a non-issue.

Thanks guys. I'd be surprised if she was tired. This is a one hour beginning level TOPs class, not her regular 3 1/2 hr practice. I asked her if she could do them and she looked surprised and said yes, but I am very reluctant to get involved at all in pushing her. I want all of that to come from her coaches. I don't really know if she knows how important it is or if she is giving up too soon because it's hard???? Maybe this class will help. I'm just really surprised they invited her at all if she can't do at least one. Skill wise, she is one of the more advanced 6 year old, but this seems to be such a gaping hole in what she is able to do. I'm surprised it hasn't shown up on her evaluations. On the other hand, she's almost got the cast handstand and can come down from it on her own.

She's 6 :). The coaches invited her to this team, so they obviously think she can do it. You can't start off able to do everything, you have to learn stuff! Strength, as with everything, comes with practice.

Trust the coaches. They'll work her up to it and she'll be doing hundreds while you're on to worrying about the next thing.

Just calm down and let the coaches do their job. This isn't something I would worry about.

Thank you for this. She's devoting so much of her 6 year old existence to this, I got really worried. She's also a good dancer and the figure skating clubs bugs me non stop about joining because she has advanced so quickly in their lesson program ( I just wanted her to know how to ice skate), So, in the next year or so, a choice needs to be made. I'm worried about making the right one. I kind of panicked when I saw how far she was behind the other kids .

I think maybe you just saw her when she was tired at the end. If she can do the level 4 bar routine I would guess she can do one leg lift.

Thank you for this. She's devoting so much of her 6 year old existence to this, I got really worried. She's also a good dancer and the figure skating clubs bugs me non stop about joining because she has advanced so quickly in their lesson program ( I just wanted her to know how to ice skate), So, in the next year or so, a choice needs to be made. I'm worried about making the right one. I kind of panicked when I saw how far she was behind the other kids .
I also would be surprised if she couldn't do a leg lift based on what you say her skill level is, I bet she was just tired :) I was so glad when my DD picked gymnastics, she was also doing cheerleading and soccer a couple years ago and it was just getting to be too much.

Hi guys. In a CGM moment, I posted the above. I really didn't think she could do it, but at the end of practice last night she whipped out 12 of them with straight legs hanging from the high bar. So I guess she can do them... and was taking it easy the other week. Thanks to all.

Glad to hear it was just a fluke! I was thinking it would be pretty hard to do a clean pullover if she couldn't do a single leg lift.

There's a reason why her TOP's workout is only an hour long. Ya see, I could get tired just watching 30 minutes of it...... and I'm in pretty good shape!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back