Parents DD moved up and I'm afraid she's in over her head!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello! This is my first post here! DD and DS were involved with gymnastics in TN before we were relocated to Canada. The gym we were at was excellent and my two were really on a great track.

We moved to a small town in Ontario. They have a gym here, it is competitive but not near as nice. It lacks the "professional" feel of our other gym. The rec program makes me crazy. The majority of the children do not wear leos, the kids are running everywhere, and it is pretty chaotic. Not my first choice of gyms but the next one is over an hour away.

DD got moved up from the basic rec program to an advanced kinder program for ages 3-5 (she's 4). Her first class was a few nights ago and it is a world of difference! Before, she would just run through obstacles trying to be the first one done. At the new class, they were actually working on skills like bridges, walkovers, pull overs on the bar, and splits. DD was the only new child to the class. SO the other 5 girls were fairly efficient but my child didn't know any of the skills! She was also running around like a monster, just like they allowed her to behave in her last class. I'm just hoping she settles down and starts to focus. Is the first move up always this big of a gap? I'm going to try my best to help her at home with out wearing her out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Well, I would say to at least give it a few weeks. They obviously saw something in her if they moved her right up like that. She is not going to be on par with the other girls at first, the other girls could have been doing this for months, they may even be moving up to the next level in the summer, leaving your dd with more new girls coming in.

As far as running around, I would just have a talk with your dd. Tell her that this class is different and she cannot run around and goof off or she might have to go back to the other class. She is four, she should be able to understand that she needs to calm down a bit in class. Good luck! I bet once she gets used to it, she will be getting those new skills in no time!

She is not going to be on par with the other girls at first, the other girls could have been doing this for months, they may even be moving up to the next level in the summer, leaving your dd with more new girls coming in.

Thanks! I hadn't thought of that. As for the running around, I'm really trying to get it through to her!

Not unusual at all for her to seem lost when it comes to new skills. Give it some time and she'll probably start understanding the basics. With only 5 other girls in the group the instructor should be able to give each girl quite a bit of attention.
Don't get into trying to teach her at home. If she's upset or confused about being behind or how to do a skill, talk with the coach. Let them work it out in the gym and let home be home.
At 4 you'll have some times when she listens well and times when she'll run around. It might be helpful for you and the coach to sit down with her and discuss expectations for the class regarding behavior.

give it more time. moving for kids is stressful in and of itself. moving from a gym that they're attached too is even worse.

I been there (x2). When my girls were moved from preschool to the dev team at age 4, they acted similarly (they didn't run around but they giggled, goofed off, and tickled each other!). I felt so guilty as the other girls seemed so focused and i didn't want to disrupt their time.

Some of it is a sisters thing, but a lot of it is getting comfortable with the new skills that are being asked. After they were shown the skills and began to be proficient with them, they started to focus a lot more. A few girls have moved on now (and others have joined), and I am noticing the same behavior with the newer girls. They play and are genrally unfocused utnil they get good at a few skills and then the focus kicks in.

I am also addressing this with a carrot and stick attitude. If they misbehave in gym, then they have to clean their rooms together after gym as a team (they have to learn to keep focus together and if they can't do it at gym they can try again at home). Alternately, if they behave, they can have a treat like a popsicle after dinner.

Initially, I started with just the reward for a job well done but came up with the cleaning of the room about two months in for those sisterhood days (fortunately, they are pretty rare now).

Well what a difference a week makes. She did much better tonight. Her coach (wasn't there for first class) really stayed on top of her. DD was much better and not near as wild. Coach said she was very talented and impressed that she got her bridge in one night! Now fingers crossed all the future classes go just as good!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back