DD second meet 1/7/11

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Kadee is having her second meet of the season this friday. Yes I have to pull her out of school a couple hours early AGAIN!! I may really have to rethink this competition thing if it becomes a habit. I will ride it out this season (only have 2 more meets after this one, four in total) but I do not want it affecting her schooling if she continues in the sport. (here I go again with the what-ifs. Sorry..lol)

That being said. Send her all the applause fairies you can. That seemed to be the thing that ment the most to her, other than her HC giving her a big hug and high 5 after her beam routine (they had them mounting and working the beam from the opposite end than she was used to...she mounted the end they wanted, just facing the way she was used to..silly girl. But she didn't let it get to her, just turned around and went about her business). HC told us after meet that Kadee told her before the bars not to spot her, because she wanted to know the scores she got were hers. I think that is why she got 1st on beam even after her wayward mount, because she wasn't spotted on any of it.

I hope she always keeps that simple view of things. When she was done with her first competition she said. "Mommy, did you hear? Everyone clapped for me." (the true diva coming out?..lol)

She's very excited about her upcoming meet. She gets to travel for this one, 2 hrs. So she thinks that makes her a "big girl".

So keep my "big girl" in your thoughts, and send any extra clapping fairies her way.

Is she a level 3? Seems as though, in my area, the level 3s get the Friday night competition if there is one, and the 8am Saturday competition if there isn't (both time slots unpleasant in their own way). Kathy is going to a meet next weekend that she went to as a level 3 (she says it was her "favorite meet ever" so she's thrilled to be going back... I don't know what made it any different than any other meet, but whatever). As a level 3 she had the Friday night meet... I remember that we had the entire family in the car, in the school carpool lane (getting there early so that we could be first in the carpool lane) so that we could be on the road as soon as she came out the door. It was almost 3 hours away, so not only did we have to rush to get there, but we got home VERY late that night. This year, as a level 5, she gets the 11:30 Saturday morning slot. MUCH more reasonable! So hopefully once you get through this year, the school thing will get better!

Applause fairies on their way to Kadee! Sorry to hear about the Friday night session time. We don't have L3 in our State and not too many meets have Friday night time slots; usually only sectionals or large meets. Maybe it is a Level 3 thing that will not be an issue next year. Anyway, good luck to her. We have a meet on Saturday morning at 8 am, which requires trying to drive out of town on Friday afternoon (traffic yuck).

Thank you ladies. She is just a L2 so we may have yet another year of this. She is just in Kindergarten, but I still worry about her you know. So far she is the top in her class at school. So its not an issue at this point. Just do not want it to become one.
MaryA, I hope Miss Kathy has a wonderful meet next weekend, and it's again her "favorite meet ever"

Good luck to her! Yes, my younger DD had to leave school a couple times in L2 and when I look at schedules for the meets coming up, L2 and L3 is almost always on the Friday (or Thursday!) session. Her times will improve as she goes up the levels hopefully! Although my L5 DD has a Friday 8am start time for a meet in February...it is a huge one though. Anyway, hope she has a great time at meet #2!

Thank you. I do hope that the times improve as she progresses (if she chooses too) thru this wild and crazy sport. I wrote a letter to her teacher today explaining that I will be picking her up early friday for another meet. I explained that she will have two more meets after this one before the season was over and that the other two would also probably be on friday. And that if she was missing anything by leaving early to PLEASE send it home with her and I will work with her on it during the weekend. She wrote back that in Kindergarten fridays afternoons are pretty lax and that really she wasnt missing anything by leaving 2 hrs early. I just worry about things too much I think...I think way to far into the future and have all these what-ifs going through my mind. Most people on here have learned Im that way and kinda ignore that part of my posts, as they know its more of a mental thing for me to just get it out, than it is me wanting "support"..lol. Not that I dont appreciate it though. I LOVE hearing how others feel, how they delt with it..what have you. But I dont get my feelings hurt if it's not addressed either. I also have a tendancy to ramble. So Im done.

Good luck, I hope she has a great meet!

I would be irritated about the time spot too, but if she is at the top of her class, she should be ok to miss a couple of hours here and there!

Hope she enjoys herself!

I don't think you should be worried about missing 2 hrs of kindergarten now, but be aware that this will increase if she stays in the sport. I have scheduled a lot of meets over the years, and it is normal to schedule the lower levels at the beginning of the meet (Friday for a large meet, Sat. am for smaller ones). Also, as she goes up the levels you will find yourself traveling farther and farther for meets which may involve some missed school as well. dd's school has a policy called ALE (alternative learning experience) which allows her to miss school for a meet without being counted absent. This also allows her to make up any missed assignments. She has done lots of homework in the car or on planes lol. If we are going some place interesting or educational we try to add a day for sightseeing for the ALE. All in all, I believe that the experiences dd has had both as a competative gymnast and as a tourist have done more for her overall life development that those missed days of school.

Thank you. I do hope that the times improve as she progresses (if she chooses too) thru this wild and crazy sport. .

Don't count on it! LOL! My level 9 has an 8 am starting time at her first meet 4 hours away. Like you, I thought we'd paid our dues by now. Oh well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back