WAG DD wants to do team!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym.new.bee

Proud Parent
First off, hello to all and thank you for reading. We have been doing gymnastics for almost a year on the rec side of our gym, this is level 4/5 one hour twice a week. I also have DD in a private once a week for more time, another rec class on her level is not possible per the gym's policy. She really wants to do a team with more hours and comp meets. Anyway, apparently my gym is Super choosy about who they invite on team, and an 8 year old from the rec side is not that likely. I have had some indication that it may be a possibility, but nothing even remotely concrete. So, my two issues are 1. At this level, is it safe to be working these skills with only two hours of practice a week, and almost no conditioning? 2. Should we hang in there and hope for an invite or look around for some one who wants her on their team? She loves her gym and coaches and friends. It is super close and has a great reputation and we love it there. We can be patient, I just wonder at what level/age/point we should try somewhere else if there is no change. I hate the possibility I am missing an opportunity for her to be on a team by hanging in where we are.

I would get an evaluation at another gym after checking out others in the area and trying to find one where it seems like there are 8-10 year olds on the level 4 and 5 teams. This is not uncommon in many places, so if it is against your gym's "policies" to take 8 year olds and they can't even do a second class? Yes, I'd move. I am nearly certain if you have another choice even if your daughter doesn't make a level 4 or 5 team, she can at least take multiple classes or join an All Star (not compulsory routines) competitive program.

Have you asked her current coach if there is the potential for her to move to team? You are bringing her and paying for weekly privates so it does not seem unreasonable to ask. Either way, you know where you stand with this gym.

When we getting ready to switch gyms I went up to the HC at the gym we ended up switching to and said, "She wants to be on the competition team.", without knowing that that's not how it's typically done. It worked. Though there are norms that usually get followed, you won't get what you don't ask for. Maybe the inquiry alone will be enough for the coach to see your daughter's passion for the sport. Good luck!

My oldest really wants to be on team as well, but she is only 6 and is a level 2 starting to drill some level 3 skills (vault and mill circle on bars) which seems to be a typical age for Level 2 in our gym. I think what is holding her back are the back hip circle (she has the pullover) and the bridge kickover. Her back hip circle is looking like it takes less effort from the coaches spotting it, but she says that the coaches are still assisting. Bridge kickovers don't get trained very often which makes me believe that they are not an essential skill for moving up to L3 - just nice to have if everything else is there as well. Bars and Beam are trained opposite weeks and she goes twice a week so she is advancing in those skills quite nicely and is often doing her beam skills on high beam while most of the other girls are on low beams. We have lots of girls at the compulsory levels with fewer girls in the optional levels. We did have a National Team member in the early 90s, but otherwise not a lot of elite girls. I honestly don't see my children making the elite level, but my oldest would dearly love to compete. I know at least of the coaches sees strong potential in my dd#1 and dd#2 so right now I'm just going to stay the course. I would love for dd#1 to be at new level 3 next summer and dd#2 to be at new level 2 next summer, but we will see what happens. We haven't heard any word from the gym about the new levels next year so we don't know yet how they plan to handle those.

Good lord!!! My daughter is an 8YO level 5 and is the YOUNGEST level 5 in our gym. If she would be considered too old to be on the L5 team in your gym, that is mind blowing! But then, I know that KY isn't one of those powerhouse states so maybe that's why????

But I agree that if your gym won't take here, there are plenty that would. I love that my (apparently) old daughter competes. It is so much fun! So I say go for it!

8 is FAR from being too old for either level 4 or 5. In reality, like Bella's Mom said, it's on the younger side. Any gym that won't even consider an 8 year old kid with the skills, work ethic, and capability for their team is going to miss out on a lot of really great gymnasts. I would be very direct with her coaches, let them know that DD wants to be in the gym more hours and is really interested in competing, ask who you need to talk to see if this would be a possibility. If you still don't get any concrete answers, start looking around. If the team coaches are that picky about who they allow on their team, they should be able to give you an answer immediately about their expectations and whether or not your DD fits the bill.
Call around to other gyms, ask for an evaluation for your DD. If they are interested, they will likely let her come in and train with the group she would be placed in for a few sessions to see how she likes the added hours, coaches, and girls in the group. Also to make sure that the level is a good fit for her skill wise.
Gyms that have a "rec side" and a "team side" where gymnasts/parents have no say in where they are placed kind of rub me the wrong way, it pushes away too many kids who could be awesome USAG gymnasts if just given the opportunity. If a child/parent opt for their child to be on a "rec only" track or to compete X-Cel or prep op instead of USAG, that's one thing, but splitting into two distinct groups with no apparent crossover as 6-8 year olds (or younger) is just not a system I agree with. But that's just my 2 cents.

I agree...check out other gyms if she is truly training L4/L5 and they aren't giving you any answers. My DD was 8 at L5 and also was the youngest L5 at her gym. There are plenty of places that would be willing to take a look at your DD!

I would check into other gyms. It seems very odd that the current gym won't let her do another rec class. Be open to another gym offering pre-team to get her in the gym more than 2 hours/week and work on basics. My gymmie was in a pre-team program at age 8 and then competed L5 at age 9.

Thank you for the suggestions, that has kind of been my thinking. Pretty sure it is lack of space/time on the more classes thing. Also, as mentioned I have not directly asked about team, I assumed that would not be the correct way. I have no first hand knowledge of what the age/level/etc. requirements are for the comp program, only going off other parents comments.

I don't see a problem with saying "DD loves gymnastics and really wants to be like the "big" girls she sees practicing for team. Is that a possibility for her here?"

Thank you for the suggestions, that has kind of been my thinking. Pretty sure it is lack of space/time on the more classes thing. Also, as mentioned I have not directly asked about team, I assumed that would not be the correct way. I have no first hand knowledge of what the age/level/etc. requirements are for the comp program, only going off other parents comments.
Do ask someone. At some gyms unless you let them know your dd is interested in team, they don't go looking at all the kids in the rec classes. Age wise your dd is old enough for all the compulsory levels (L2-6) so that would not be an issue at least per USAG. If they blow you off or offer no real encouragement then start looking elsewhere.

^^^ I agree. Our gym definitely pulls kids from the rec classes to pre-team. Unless they have been in an advanced class for quite awhile, most are not ready to go straight into Level 3 or higher. I work at the gym's front desk, and it is not unusual to have parents come up interested in their kid joining the competition team. After that, the coach's will evaluate them. Kids can be missed though. We had a schedule mix up, and a girl who takes rec. classes ended up practicing with pre-team one day. She ended up doing amazing, and was invited to join permanently.

Start asking around at the current gym, and keep going until you get somebody who can give you an answer. They, themselves should know what they're looking for. The critera may be vague and fluid, but that doesn't matter as long as you get an idea of the scope of the qualities you're looking for.

If age is one of their criteria, and there are age groups that I would shy away from, and it places your child in the "well maybe cuz you never know" category I'd suggest a shopping trip to find the best fit for your daughter at any of the other clubs in town. If instead, you hear that they "talk team" only when a child has shown she has a some ability, respect for others and herself, and works hard.....well that's a pretty good place to be.

In the context of the 2nd example, you're going to be far better off following the clubs lead even if it takes another year to find out if the team path is the right one for your child, because there are gyms that put any kid who can wear a leotard rightside out and frontside front on their teams, and collect team fees. Many kids are on teams as an automatic extension of the rec program, and are placed there with no chance for anything more than years of "participation" that go by as they see their dreams evaporate into reality.

I don't discount that participation is an important part of life, but have you ever heard a kid say "I want to do gymnastics so I can be a participant". I think most kids say "I want to do gymnastics and go to the olympics".....even kids old enough they should realize the reality of their age. So in a sense age is an issue because you hate to see a thirteen year old view their first back handspring as a milestone on their way to an olmpic dream. But hey, if a kid wants to participate and has the ability to see that reality, more power to them.

So stay put if you get a feeling the team path requires passing through a process that takes time, and you want your daughter to be selected on the merits of a process that often results in years of setting and reaching realistic and meaningful goals.

Just adding a bit of observation.......

If your dd started on the short side of "almost a year", she's making pretty good progress, evidenced by the skills seen at the levels 4 and 5. This could be either an indication of her over all work/passion/ability atributes or the program's ability to provide excellent instruction in a rec program setting, or a little of both. If you observe team kids that are happily working with their coaches on skills that impress you as advanced....you're probably in the right place, because they'll likely get to her unless they only look for the youngest talent.

Good luck to you!

I think most of what the other poster said is good advice. However the part about "dreams evaporating into reality" and Olympic dreams? This sport is a little bizarre in that people think and talk that way so much, and even think you shouldn't bother competing or be given the chance to compete on USAG if you don't have "Olympic" potential. Huh? There are hundreds, maybe thousands of gyms that have never produced an Olympic athlete. They are not wasting their time. The Olympics is a once in four years event for basically FIVE girls. Even the most amazing athletes at the most amazing gyms will not make it due to timing, who is contending in their year, injury etc. Even if elite athletes do no make the Olympic team, that is not a failure. Also, participating on a college team or getting a college scholarship is an amazing and fantastic accomplishment for women athletes in any sport, including gymnastics!! And girls who did not reach that goal did't waste their time. It should be all about the great experiences and lessons gained by competing in a sport, just like any other sport. So many lessons and character building from gymnastics can be carried into adulthood.... I hope my daughter is an engineer or scientist one day, and I happen to think sports competition is relavent to those goals. Or being a teacher. Or owning a business. Or just being a positive member of the community.... Reality check. For female athletes, even great ones, their odds of making a living as simply a gymnastics athlete are almost zero, like most sports for women. But odds of them learning to be a great human being and carrrying valuable lessons into other areas of their life, well heck, I think odds are stacked in their favor! I'd pack it up right now in this sport for my daughter and spend our money and time elsewhere if I didn't believe that.

You said it, monkeysmom! As long as she is working hard and not putting her safety at risk, any child who loves gymnastics should have the chance to pursue her passion beyond the rec level. There is no other activity I can think of where young beginners are denied the chance to try just because some adult decides that they don't have a shot at being the best. Sure, most kids will realize at some point that they are not going to the Olympics. Some of these will decide it's not worth it to continue, and others will decide it's just not fun any more. These girls will drop out, but those who genuinely love the sport will continue as long as possible and learn a lot of life lessons along the way. Besides, who can tell with 100% accuracy at the age of 4 or even 8 whether a kid is going to end up as an elite?

My kid could be a poster child for the value of letting "average" kids participate. She did not fit the profile of the kid who taught herself cartwheels on the playground and did flips off the arm of the couch, and was therefore held back from pre-team for several months. Now she amazes her coaches with how hard she works and is gaining skills at the same pace as everyone else in her group, while many of those "naturals" the coaches were so excited about have dropped out due to lack of commitment. Plus that, she is the world's happiest little girl because she gets to do what she loves. How could you argue with that?

I don't discount that participation is an important part of life, but have you ever heard a kid say "I want to do gymnastics so I can be a participant". I think most kids say "I want to do gymnastics and go to the olympics".....even kids old enough they should realize the reality of their age. So in a sense age is an issue because you hate to see a thirteen year old view their first back handspring as a milestone on their way to an olmpic dream. But hey, if a kid wants to participate and has the ability to see that reality, more power to them.

I have a "participant." She knows she will never go to the Olympics. And not because someone told her but because she is pretty at math and biology:) She knows she won't do it forever. She knows she will probably never break into L7 (she is currently a 9yo, L4 who is tall for her age). Luckily she goes to a gym full of "participants." And you know what? Her 12 yo, L4 teammate who just got her first BHS last night was beaming with pride. It seems like a pretty good gig to me. The kids have goals, are getting exercise, and are having a good time....and they are doing it together. Isn't that a team?

I get that some gyms are really only for gymnasts with serious talent. And of course, there will be strict criteria to determine who gets to participate on those teams. That makes sense and I think it is appropriate. But the VAST majority of team gymnasts are not at these gyms. Many are on "can you put the leo on right-side-out?" teams. The OP is going to have to ask some questions at her gym to find out where her gym stands in that line up and if she needs to seek another gym. But I assure you that there is growth, goals, and other goodies at almost any type of (safe) gym. If a kid wants to do it, even as a "participant," and there is a team that welcomes children with modest goals, I see nothing wrong with that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back