Parents DD will not be competing next fall

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It the "change" that has everybody upset. Once the new system is in place, and these parents move on, everything will run more smoothly.

It the "change" that has everybody upset. Once the new system is in place, and these parents move on, everything will run more smoothly.
I will agree. I don't think the parents realize how difficult the new lvl 4 is. From what I read on hear the skills take time to perfect. Plus the routines on all 4 events. I would not want my DD competition until she's comfortable on these skills. Some of these patents (w/ DD on the blue non competing team) want there kids pushed up to new lvl 4 even though their kids don't have a lot of those skills yet. They want them to compete & think they will learn the skills this summer. This seems to me like it would put a lot of pressure on these kids to learn these skills in only a few months! I guess I'm ok w/ out all bc I'm on the "other" side. My DD doesn't have the skills to even make the Blue team. But if she was on the verge of having the lvl 4 skills & was placed on the Blue non competing team then I might be rallying w/ all those unhappy parents!!

Ah, the parents so eager to enter the maelstrom! Here's how it went for us:

Level 5, year 1: OMG, DD has a meet! Drop everything, pack up the fam, let's go out to dinner before and after our hotel stay and turn this into a great experience for everyone! DSs, why aren't you watching her and all of her teammates on every event? And why won't the grandparents go with us to more than just the local meets? OMG, she finished .2 tenths above that teammate who finished .3 above her last time!!!

Level 5, year 2: DD has a meet this weekend. Yes, boys, unfortunately you do have to come because we need to stay in a hotel so DD can get enough sleep. We will make it up to you. Of course you can bring your electronics; just be sure you pay attention when she goes. DH, I'll do the video, you get the sports continuous photography this time. Soandso had a great meet two weeks ago; hope she does well again and gets a really high AA score! How do you think DD will do? Will she make her squat on or miss it this time? Will she stay on the beam? Is she going to have a personal best AA score? Why didn't the judges give her more on floor because she's so cute? The judging is so unfair!

Level 6: Well, it's meet season again! Can we figure out something to do with the boys so they don't have to come with us? I cannot believe we got stuck with another hotel stay on this meet. I hope she can do what she's been doing in practice with that straddle jump; it's still a deduction magnet. Soandso has really improved on bars; she's not getting those cast deductions now.

Level 7: Alright, who's going this time, you or me? It's only three hours away, so I'll suck it up; we can easily make it there on time without having to do the damn hotel if I leave at 5:30. What goals did she set for herself? Are they reasonable? I hope everyone warms up and competes safely and walks off under her own power! Do you think they can get through a beam rotation with fewer falls than they have girls competing this time? Ugh, that particular judge has never liked DD's vaulting; guess she won't be getting out of the mid 8s today. Soandso's layout is so much better than it was at the beginning of the season! So nice to see soandso upgrading to the roundoff on beam! And aren't you thrilled that soandso got over her fear and is now doing the BWO-BHS? Scores? Huh? Oh yeah, I think that was a personal best for DD on bars, though I'd have to look back and check . . .

My guess is that by next year, we will have reached, "but I thought YOU booked the hotel!!"

Profmom- OMG I was reading your post and I was dying!!! I thought I was reading a script from my life... You mean this happens to other people...whew! The boys, their electronic devices, the one thing you left out was that my husband drags his sports page with him and during down time he's rattling that thing in the stands... As I try scooting farther and farther away he's telling me a ESPN rundown from the night before (like I know who or what he says half the time, unless it's baseball) :)

Profmom- OMG I was reading your post and I was dying!!! I thought I was reading a script from my life... You mean this happens to other people...whew! The boys, their electronic devices, the one thing you left out was that my husband drags his sports page with him and during down time he's rattling that thing in the stands... As I try scooting farther and farther away he's telling me a ESPN rundown from the night before (like I know who or what he says half the time, unless it's baseball) :)

Funny! Prof mom- I laughed when I read your post! I remember the first year of competitions, I was SO sad for meet season to be over. This year, I was SO happy it was over! What a difference 3 years makes!

I'm quite jealous of that mentality at your gym. We have the opposite problem. My dd's teammate's mom and I want our daughters training instead of competing at the low levels, yet they're making them both repeat at new level 2... talk about a waste, lol. I think starting at new level 3 or 4 is plenty early enough to do competitions. After seeing the amount of time on routines for old level 3, I saw a lot less value in it then I thought I would have seen. I'd love for DD to have a full year of good, steady, quality training, and then have her compete at the level she'd be successful at... *sigh*

If I had my choice, my gym would begin competing at new 4. I think its a very smart move not to waste time and money training some of the pointless skills of new 3.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using ChalkBucket mobile app

If I had my choice, my gym would begin competing at new 4. I think its a very smart move not to waste time and money training some of the pointless skills of new 3. Sent from my SCH-I405 using ChalkBucket mobile app
Thanks for the reassurance. I was starting to doubt my liking to this, but now I have read all these comments I feel our gym has made a great decision on this. Hopefully other parents will realize this too.& I'm sure they will (now that they have had time to think about it.) Thanks for all comments & views

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back