DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sheplaysinthechalk

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
How to spell owwee? :cool:

dd is hurting.

I should preface this with that she's never been hurt before. Well, not NEVER, but she's not a complainer, and she certainly doesn't milk anything. Last year she took a nasty spill off the beam, ended up with beam burn and a disgusting bruise, and never complained a bit after the fact.

Last night, she was practicing punch fronts from a spring board to an 8 incher. Usually, no problem for her. On this particular one, I saw her take off was funny. She managed to punch the board and do a really beautiful pike front. But, when she landed, she landed short and bounced back onto her butt. Bounced back so that her tailbone hit the corner of the springboard. I saw her face - she wasn't happy, but she wasn't crying. It was the look of "OMG it hurts" She just got back in line though.
When it was her turn again, she ran, punched the board, flipped 3/4 of the way and landed flat on her back - knocked the wind out of her. This scared her. AND ME! Coach had her sit out and chill for a few minutes. She still didn't complain about the butt issue. But when she went to get back up to get in line, she started crying. Had a hard time walking for a few minutes.
Coach got her some ice. I gave her some advil. Later she decided to go back to class. From there she did the next 2.5 hours on "light duty". The last half hour, she practiced her tumbling on the rod floor. She kept making the OMG face, but she wanted to keep working. I eventually asked her if she was hurt - she said "it's not that bad, i'm just tired." I asked if she wanted to go home, she said no.
She never complained the rest of the night. This morning she could hardly get out of bed. She managed to get up and walk around, but she is VERY sore.

I haven't taken her to the dr - she is walking and no visible swelling or bruising. I don't think she is broken anywhere, i think she's bruised inside, where we can't see it...want to know what to do to help her.

I think most of this is that I feel HORRIBLE that she kept working when she was in pain - like to the point that she was so sore this morning and couldn't go to kindergarten...poor baby.:(

Last edited:
First, let me say that I am sorry that your dd is hurt--injuries are never fun especially for little gymmies.

Secondly, I would have immediately pulled her from practice after her "first" injury off of the springboard. I would have thoroughly checked her out and have her sit with some ice for a few minutes before even thinking about going back out on the floor. I know these little gymmies "are tough" but the fact that she injured herself AGAIN a few minutes later (probably even worse than the first time) is VERY concerning.

I hope your gymmie is okay and please, take her to the doctor just to make sure she is ok.

Sending healing fairies your way! :)

Oh poor girl. And a little one too. I know how you feel. My 4 year old dd peeled off of the bar in September. She did cry momentarily but that was it. She continued for a solid week with 2 preteam classes, 2 tumbling classes, 2 dance classes, soccer practice and a soccer game before she complained about her wrist feeling numb. Come to find out it was BROKEN the whole time. Boy, did I feel bad. I really had no clue because she didn't complain. It's hard when you know they are really hurting when they do complain. I hope she feels better soon! Oh, and I did take her home after her fall off of the bars just to be sure she was ok. She just acted like her happy, busy self and went home and did her 'gymnastics' at home because I pulled her out of her class early.

Last edited:
Oh poor girl. And a little one too. I know how you feel. My 4 year old dd peeled off of the bar in September. She did cry momentarily but that was it. She continued for a solid week with 2 preteam classes, 2 tumbling classes, 2 dance classes, soccer practice and a soccer game before she coplained about her wrist feeling numb. Come to find out it was BROKEN the whole time. Boy, did I feel bad. I really had no clue because she didn't complain. It's hard when you know they are really hurting when they do complain. I hope she feels better soon!

WHAT????? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ok....I need to say something....

This is why it is very important to take any and all childhood injuries seriously and have them checked out by a doctor whether the child is complaining or not.

Yes I feel bad. She did get checked out after she fell off of the bar. The break was in the growth plate of the wrist and didn't show up on x-ray. My alarm bells went off when she said she couldn't feel it a week later. So yes I agree with getting it checked out by a doctor but it is important to know that some of these injuries don't show themselves right away. I was told that it was fine and to let her do what she could with it.

Yes I feel bad. She did get checked out after she fell off of the bar. The break was in the growth plate of the wrist and didn't show up on x-ray. My alarm bells went off when she said she couldn't feel it a week later. So yes I agree with getting it checked out by a doctor but it is important to know that some of these injuries don't show themselves right away. I was told that it was fine and to let her do what she could with it.

Oh ok--that makes me feel better that she did get it checked out :). Injuries in little ones can be very scary because sometimes it is hard to tell how severe it is.

It's official. I have made an appointment. It's in 40 minutes. I didn't immediately pull her from class because she really didn't indicate that she was hurt to the point of needing an x ray. When they took her for ice, i checked her and she had what appeared to be rug burn. That's it. She was still willing and able to do tumbling bars and beam. If I had really thought for one minute that she was REALLY injured (cracked, broken, fractured, shattered) i would have pulled her out in a heartbeat. I probably should have just pulled her out last night...But i didn't because she was still running around and laughing and having a good time. It was just that once in a while she would make that face. I'll post an update when we get back.

I hope she is alright. My dd fractured her elbow a year ago when she fell off the high bar. She cried at first but then she wanted to go to dance and at least watch, so we all thought it was alright. She got up in the morning and said it was sore, but she went to school and to dance company after school and when I picked her up it seemed like her fingers were swollen so I took her to the treatment center and they x-rayed and said it was fractured. You never know unless you see the Dr., glad to hear you are going.

Glad you made an appointment. Hope it is nothing big and that she feels better soon.

no fracture. just some bruising.

They are treating her with pain pills and ice. She can go back to the gym whenever she feels like she's ready.

She was upset to have to go to the doctor, but left there smiling - the doctor showed her that he knows how to do a CARTWHEEL!!! It was hilarious!

What a relief. I bet you feel a weight lifted off your shoulders just knowing it isn't serious.

Cute story about the Cartwheel.

no fracture. just some bruising.

They are treating her with pain pills and ice. She can go back to the gym whenever she feels like she's ready.

She was upset to have to go to the doctor, but left there smiling - the doctor showed her that he knows how to do a CARTWHEEL!!! It was hilarious!

Oh that's too funny! Glad that nothing is broken.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back