Anon deciding if I should switch gyms or stay here

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
A

Anonymous (0c8c)

I've seen a lot of posts similar to this, but generally only with kids who are hoping to go to college, so I'm going to throw my situation in there. so I'm currently at a small Xcel only gym, with a very small team/pre-team. The gym is great, but they don't put a lot of focus on moving up, if you want to move up/get upgrades quickly you generally need to come in on extra days or ask the coach if you can practice them. You aren't pushed a ton. You can't practice upgrades unless your skills are really clean, and while that's a great rule, we don't focus on form while learning the skill, and don't really do drills or talk about correct form beforehand so it makes it hard. While it's a great gym, and I definitely learn things. A lot of my teammates goof of a lot too, and sometimes I feel like I'm the only one really working. I'm thinking about switching to a gym that puts more focus on pushing you, and is a bit more organized, almost more strict? I'm a little older and only in a mid level of Xcel. Do you think that would still be a good move? Should I talk to my parents and another gym about tryouts? Or should I stay put as it's not like I'm going to college gym or anything. I'm also a little worried I'm going to be a lot older than other gym's girls. I wish I had started gymnastics when I was younger and maybe been able to go to college gym, but obviously while that's not happening now, I still want to get as good at gymnastics as I can be, so should I switch? My gym isn't a bad gym, but I'm worried I won't learn as quickly as I may be able to somewhere else..

You can talk to your parents and look into another gym. Check out the vibe ... see if you would be comfortable there ... and if they wanted to take you on before you decide.

When you do go to college, there is always college club (NAIGC) gymnastics that you could do.
They have Xcel Silver, Xcel Platinum, Xcel Diamond, and Level 9 in their competitions as of this season.

This means that you can continue at a slower pace at your gym and focus on perfecting skills and adding new skills slowly. Since your gym is laid back, you might be able to go to an open gym at another gym and get some help on skills you want to get better at or start learning.

Good luck.

If you're looking for something more than your current gym provides, then I absolutely think you should talk to your parents about trying out at another gym. My daughter LOVES coaches that have high expectations and push their girls to be their best, so your experience totally make sense to me. Your experience MATTERS, whatever your level, whatever your future plans; it sounds like you're working hard, and you deserve to be in an environment that lines up with your goals. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back