deduction for repeating an element

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
DD recently had her first L7 meet and she fell on her series bwo bwo on beam. She fell after she landed the 1st bwo. She then got up and started from the beginning of the series and did it beautifully. She scored low so I asked her coach why and she said that she received a deduction for the fall and also for repeating the bwo but that she had to repeat to get credit for the series. Why the dedection for repeating if you need it and how much is the deduction for?

There is no deduction for repeating, but your daughter did not get credit for the series.

You can only get credit for an element the first two times it's performed (in a different connection). Therefore, because she got her feet on on the first BWO, the third BWO doesn't count, and the judges would view her 'series' as a BWO + 0 (a non-element).

(In addition, the second BWO would not count as an element because the devaluation of the third BWO turns it into a single element, which means that it's not in a different connection.)

To add on to what gymkat said...this cost her a .5 reduction in her start value, and could possibly have left her with only 4 A elements in the routine, reducing her start value by another .1. So, likely she had a start value of at most a 9.5, plus the .5 deduction for the fall.

the real answer might be that she needed to repeat it because she is learning about herself and how to cope in a competition and the first time she is competing that series. but usually parents don't want to hear that so the coach tells a white but harmless and beneficial to the athlete lie. i was not superstitious as an athlete myself, but i am aware that failure repeats ltself in some kids because they can't get that snapshot out of their head by the next meet. something stupid like a bwo bwo can be a ghost in the mind of some kids. even mustafina has repeated skills at a much higher level than bwo bwo. i recall a meet a few years ago where she kept missing a tkatchev in warm ups and then in the meet. her coach had her repeat it and she was successful. it's not a coincidence today that mustafina has that 'look' in her eyes when she competes. lots of us coaches have had athletes repeat skills in competitions. you don't worry about the scores. you think about the developmental teaching lessons/moments for the athlete.

and i might be completely wrong about your particular situation but this opened the door for me to explain a situation that takes place often in our sport and will help the next parent and coach.

level 7 optionals is developmental and where you want them to repeat stuff and hope that this teaches them for the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
the real answer might be that she needed to repeat it because she is learning about herself and how to cope in a competition and the first time she is competing that series. but usually parents don't want to hear that so the coach tells a white but harmless and beneficial to the athlete lie. i was not superstitious as an athlete myself, but i am aware that failure repeats ltself in some kids because they can't get that snapshot out of their head by the next meet. something stupid like a bwo bwo can be a ghost in the mind of some kids. even mustafina has repeated skills at a much higher level than bwo bwo. i recall a meet a few years ago where she kept missing a tkatchev in warm ups and then in the meet. her coach had her repeat it and she was successful. it's not a coincidence today that mustafina has that 'look' in her eyes when she competes. lots of us coaches have had athletes repeat skills in competitions. you don't worry about the scores. you think about the developmental teaching lessons/moments for the athlete.

and i might be completely wrong about your particular situation but this opened the door for me to explain a situation that takes place often in our sport and will help the next parent and coach.

level 7 optionals is developmental and where you want them to repeat stuff and hope that this teaches them for the future.

like, like, like

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back