WAG Deductions for hair colour?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have to admit that it's sort of amusing to watch my son's coach's face as his lips get thinner and thinner and thinner the closer we get to meet season and the longer my son's hair gets. He always makes a big fuss over DS when he shows up with his meet season haircut. Last year, I must confess that I waited until three days before their first meet just to mess with him.

DS has been informed that once he is performing on Kohei Uchimura's level, he may then emulate Kohei's hairdo.

What are tramlines and what is isolation?

Tramlines are when the boys shave lines/patterns in their hair, isolation is a room they get sent to. They have all their lessons and their lunch in there if they have seriously infringed the school rules. In my day you got sent home, now they put you in the room.

It hold up to 12 pupils, is very sparse but has computers and two teachers. The children follow their normal curriculum, or if they are having problems can get 1:1 attention with the aim to re-introducing them back into the classroom.

Tramlines are when the boys shave lines/patterns in their hair, isolation is a room they get sent to. They have all their lessons and their lunch in there if they have seriously infringed the school rules. In my day you got sent home, now they put you in the room.

It hold up to 12 pupils, is very sparse but has computers and two teachers. The children follow their normal curriculum, or if they are having problems can get 1:1 attention with the aim to re-introducing them back into the classroom.

is this public school?? is this part of the dress code?

Wow, that's pretty harsh for hair. My son would spend the year if he had to wait there for hair to grow out, his grows so slow, lol.

But then I guess you are aware of, and agree to the rules when you register.

I'm just of the opinion that it is only hair and it eventually will grow out or can be cut. Of course if there are specific rules for a school or sport I would make sure that my kids follow them. And they also need to be clean and groomed, no matter what the style or colour.

I would much rather see a purple streak I my dds hair if it gives her a sense of individuality that she is looking for, rather than her rebelling in some other way through behaviour or pushing for inappropriate clothes. (She often wants to dress like the cheerleaders at our gym and I blatantly refuse to allow her to.)

I suppose its just what we are used to.

@Quadqueen Terminology is a bit tricky here, Public school over here means private, ie paid for.

Mine all go to local state funded schools if thats what you mean, however they also have to wear a uniform with a collar and tie, just the way it is here

I suppose its just what we are used to.

@Quadqueen Terminology is a bit tricky here, Public school over here means private, ie paid for.

Mine all go to local state funded schools if thats what you mean, however they also have to wear a uniform with a collar and tie, just the way it is here

Gotcha. I have never heard of hair guidelines in public school, although some public schools here do require uniforms. The only school I know here of which has requirements for boys' hair length, etc., is a Catholic (private) school.

Most state schools here have a uniform and a set of rules about hair, make-up, jewelry, shoes etc. My kids all go to state school and the rules are quite strict too - no coats in the corridor, black socks and shoes, tidy hair, no jewelry.

They don't have an isolation room, but they would be given detention for a uniform breach including an unusual hair style. I think the wording is something like "which detracts from the smart appearance and draws attention" bla, bla.

They look very smart when they are out and about they are representing the school and young people in our area so I like it that they do.

Actually the girls at gym all look pretty neat and tidy too and scruffy hair would definitely look out of place. I used to just put dd's hair grips back in after school and that was about it, but when she got on the team and I noticed how neat the other girls hair was I had to make more of an effort!

At the senior school (11+) school DS has started they even specify what colour hair slides and hairbands can be. They have to be in house colours. Which was rather unfortunate for a friend with yellow as her house colour with strawberry blonde hair. DS is growing his hair longer and I couldn't find anything in the rules, but I wonder at what point he would be told it was too untidy. Tramlines etc are expressly banned.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2414055/Schoolboy-13-sent-home-day-new-term-told-short-haircut-offensive.html

Just
one example. Please note if you are not from the UK, this is from a terrible tabloid newspaper, but it's just one I happened to spot last week.

I think it's ridiculous to take points off for hair color. Really! They should be scoring the gymnastics. As long as the hair is tied back neatly and not interfering with the gymnastics, it should NOT matter! This is one of those things that gives gymnastics (and the scoring system) a bad rap. I can't even imagine a judge actually taking that deduction (at least in this part of the country where people are pretty liberal) unless it is distracting.

I'm not one to dye my hair (never have, though the increase in greys is tempting me more and more), but really, it's such an innocent, harmless way for kids to show their independence/originality. There are much bigger battles to pick; I'd let this one go.

I don't see how you can deduct for hair colour or nail polish (looking at the rules). Not without deducting for hair glitter too, which I am pretty sure the person who has to vacuum would be all for! I would not advise having either as it is frowned on, but to deduct is just crazy.

I don't see how you can deduct for hair colour or nail polish (looking at the rules). Not without deducting for hair glitter too, which I am pretty sure the person who has to vacuum would be all for! I would not advise having either as it is frowned on, but to deduct is just crazy.

I had the same thought. It is crazy that nail polish is a deduction, hair color is a deduction; but hair glitter is extremely common. (My DDs hate the hair glitter though, they think that the spray just stinks too much.)

Is there a deduction for unnaturally coloured hair? (Red, Blue, Purple) Not just tinted after slapping a temporary dye over brown hair, but like, bleach then the colour, bright.

I don't know if there is a rule? Help?
Our girls are told only natural colors in the hair. Natural highlights etc. I don't think there is an actual rule that says this but it comes under the heading distracting items which I believe there is a deduction for.

Again, cultural difference strikes again, my kids would be sent home from school if they dyed their hair pink, purple, blue or had feathers in it. If they boys cut it too short or have tramlines they are sent home or put in isolation till it grows out.
wow. here in germany no school could or would ever do anything about this. you can do with your hair whatever you like. it would be considered totally over the line to tell a pupil how he or she has to do their hair.

Schools are strict with uniform and hair in Barbados too. A lot of girls did the Kool-Aid dye thing over the summer, knowing it would have to be gone when term started back. DD wanted to do hers but never got around to it and now it's too late. Maybe at Christmas she can dip the ends in red and green and then we'll chop them off the day before school starts .... ;)

this is our school policy

College Uniform
All Year Groups
White shirt with collar (able to be tucked in) with long or short
sleeves, (not 3/4 length).
College tie.
Black Sweater with School logo as supplied
Black smart tailored trousers
NO JEANS OR JEANS STYLE, CANVAS TROUSERS, CORDS,
COMBAT STYLE TROUSERS, LEGGINGS, JEGGINGS,
DRAINPIPE TROUSERS, "SKINNY" JEANS OR 3/4 LENGTH.
Belts should be black and functional.
Plain flesh or black tights or short white or black socks.
PLAIN BLACK SHOES which are able to be polished - FULL
SHOE, NO TRAINERS, NO LOGOS OF ANY KIND, NO
SANDALS, NO CROCS, FLIP FLOPS OR BOOTS.
PE Kit . (
The new college PE kit from September 2012 is compulsory for all new
Year 7 students. All other students may continue to wear the old PE kit
or chose to purchase the new one. However, when a new uniform is
required due to wear and tear, the new uniform must be purchased in
replacement.
Boys' PE Kit
• Black and gold long sleeved rugby top
• . Plain black shorts
Black and gold polo shirt
Black socks
Black and gold hooded training top (optional)
Black tracksuit (optional)
Girls' PE Kit
Black and gold skort or black shorts
Black and gold polo shirt
Black socks
Black and gold long sleeved rugby top (optional)
Black and gold hooded training top (optional)
Black tracksuit(optional)
All items can only be purchased from School Supplier with the
exception of the plain black shorts and the plain black tracksuit, which
can be bought from any supplier.
No jewellery is to be worn in any lessons.
Optional equipment: Shin pads for football and hockey, Mouth guards
for hockey and rugby
Students must bring their PE kit even if unable to participate as they will
be expected to take a non-active role in the lesson.

Personal Property and Appearance
Jewellery
One watch and one small discreet ring. No Sovereign rings. No
bracelets or necklaces. No charity bands unless agreed by the College.
Earrings
Only one pair of plain studs, sleepers or small earrings is allowed in the
ear lobe. One earring per ear.
Tattoos
It is illegal for children under 18 years to have a tattoo and so these will
not be accepted in College under any circumstances
Piercings
The College does not allow any facial or tongue piercings including
plastic retainers, this includes ear piercings that are not in the ear lobe.
Students will not be allowed in College if they refuse to remove them. A
plaster covering the piercing is not acceptable.
Make-up
Discreet makeup is permitted in College and discretion is left with
Student Services, Head of Year and Leadership Team. No coloured
nail varnish is allowed.
Mobile Phones/Music Players
r"o •• _I_ :..L L_ .. I-I '-_ ..1.. •• -1 _L£ I _L I _ •• .L _£ _! __ I_J. :.-
_ I. __ L'_r:_~_-',
Such items should be turned off and stored out of sight in a bag before entering the
College. The use of such devices in College is not permitted and this applies also at
break lunch and before and after school if students are still onsite. If used the device
will be confiscated and kept at reception, where it can be collected the following day.
Phones confiscated on a Friday will be returned the following Monday at 3pm. In the
case of repeat offences, parents will be contacted and asked to collect the item. Any
confiscated items will be stored securely until collection however the College accepts
no responsibility for the safety of such items during the college day.
• _ _ ._ _ _ _ __ • __ J _ - - _. - •• - - - ..• - - - v J
Hair Styles
Patterned, shaved or multi-coloured coloured hair is not permitted in
College. If hair colour is used it should be of natural appearance and of
one colour only. Tramlines or extreme hairstyles are not acceptable.
Hair ornaments should be functional and discreet. If you are in doubt
consult your child's tutor or Head of Year before your child's hairstyle is
changed.

Non-Uniform Day regulations - when these take place students must
wear clothing appropriate for the day. Non-uniform does not include
fancy dress.
College staff reserve the right to send students home or
isolate them if they are incorrectly dressed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back