WAG Deductions for hair colour?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My gymnast DD wears a royal blue knee length sleeveless cotton dress with a blue and white checked roll collar and blue and white checked piping around the armholes. You purchase it ready made and that's that. White socks and black mary jane/t-strap or laced shoes complete the outfit. No variation allowed whatsoever. It's cool though - every morning grab one off the hanger and put it over your head - all done! :)

this is our school policy

It might sound very strict to us, but the point is if you agree to it when your child starts at the school, there is no excuse to go against the policy.

I personally wouldn't have my child attend a school with such a strict policy, but I would love if she had a basic uniform.

Thing is pretty much every school over here has a strict uniform policy. A few primaries are a bit more relaxed, but all secondaries are pretty strict. So you don't really get a choice.

Plus smart uniform is generally linked to better schools. If kids don't wear it it indicates the school discipline may not be good - the school likely has a uniform policy, they just can't enforce it.

Tbh here most people like strict uniform. It stops the "what to wear" arguments, stops decent clothes getting trashed, and most of all is a big equalizer. Kids aren't being bullied for not having the right designer, or the wrong fashion, the wrong length skirt or style of shirt.

It might sound very strict to us, but the point is if you agree to it when your child starts at the school, there is no excuse to go against the policy.

I personally wouldn't have my child attend a school with such a strict policy, but I would love if she had a basic uniform.

The kids honestly don't care about wearing uniform. A lot of high schools have gone back to blazers by choice of the kids. My dd is miffed her school is one of the few still without a blazer. They do have proper button shirts jumpers and ties though. She thinks the blazers are smarter. As Margo says the smarter the uniform the better the school is perceived to be. By both parents and kids. And the kids look forward to having the smarter high school uniforms. They are just used to it.

I wish we had school uniforms here. I grew up with it so it is very normal to me. Here the kids trail into school wearing whatever they please. We do have a dress code, but frankly most of the kids look like they just got out of bed, like they didn't even get changed even.

Putting on a uniform, tying your tie, cleaning your shoes all help with a sense of belonging, community. We also had houses, like in Harry Potter, and finding out your house was a big deal. Earning points to help your house be the best was a great feeling, losing points due to bad behaviour or poor work was a terrible thing and made people strive to work hard.

Making school a bit more about the community and less about I would be a good thing. JMHO of course.

We had a school uniform of white shirt, tie (that denoted your house), knee length navy blue skirt, blazer, regulation underpants, school sweater. In the summer we had a summer dress, blue gingham for the lower years and a nice paisley for the older years. There was a hat that was phased out the year I went there too. We even had school phys ed clothes, the shorts had piping the colour of your house. This was a regular, non fee paying, high school

Our summer dresses were bright yellow with a front zip, and a blue elastic belt with a purse in it. We used to call it a banana skin

Both primary and high schools have strict phys ed uniform right down to the colour of socks and type of trainers

I wish we had uniforms in the US. I'm not really into the latest fashion statements and i end up getting made fun of a little because of it. Not that I really care about that, I just think its dumb for people to worry so much about what they wear. At least with a uniform, you wear what they tell you!

I wish we had uniforms in the US. I'm not really into the latest fashion statements and i end up getting made fun of a little because of it. Not that I really care about that, I just think its dumb for people to worry so much about what they wear. At least with a uniform, you wear what they tell you!

I agree. Being out of the mainstream was far easier with a uniform. Bullying was much less as we all had the same no matter what.

I was definitely a child who was different. Still am that way now. Embrace it. The people who bully end up being life's losers.

Oh I seriously don't think I could cope with the stress of clothing decisions every morning at stupid o clock. Uniform is a massive advantage when you have a child who takes five minutes to decide whether to have hair in a ponytail or a ponytail plait. Phew!!

In middle school, we had a more relaxed uniform of a green or white polo shirt and khaki pants, shorts, skirt, or a plaid skirt. Shoes, socks, jackets, etc were okay as long as they were not any shade of red or blue. Everyone hated the uniform at the time as it was pretty boring and uncomfortable, but now in high school (where there is no uniform) I'm starting to miss it a bit. I never had to decide what to wear or worry about being judged for my clothes. We still have PE uniforms though.

don't get me started .............

I looked round my zumba class the other day and was very proud to be the only person there who didn't die her hair.

I shall sit down with my cocoa now.......

i love cocoa...:) wish i was there.:)

Oh goodness, If me or any of my friends had to wear a uniform, I think we'd die. We do have a strictly enforced dress code (no tank tops, shirts have to have a certain neckline length, shorts below where our fingertips hang down,etc.) But I guess that's because we're a private school....
Hair coloring is ok. In my opinion, dyed hair is only okay when it's temporary and when it's just at the tips.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back