deductions for optionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymgramma

what is the deduction if a coach takes a positon to "spot" an optional gymnast, but doesn't actually spot or touch the gymnast?

I thought it was the same as compulsories, i.e., no deduction if he doesn't actually touch the gymnast, but I'd be interested to have a coach or judge confirm that.

I've never seen a deduction for a coach moving close to the gymnast for safety when they're doing a tough skill such as a bar release/dismount, vault or acro skill on floor. Last year, my gymmie would usually have 2 coaches out on the floor during her bar routine---1 would move the springboard and adjust the landing mat after her mount(she jumped to high bar) and then would stay there as a "precaution" on her flyaway. The other would position themselves by the low bar since she did a bail---never any need for them, but I think it made the coach feel better. No deductions ever given.

That's true..if the coach doesn't touch (or spot) you, there's no deduction..my daughter's coach stands by the low bar as she does her shootover and then walks away...no deductions :)

On what event?
Bar of beam you are fine. If the coach comes onto the floor during a routine you lose a point at level 7 and up. If the coach stands between the spring board and the vault table you can also lose a point for level 7 and up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back