Developmental Team Vs. Rec. Classes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

Cartwheels

Hello!

I have a five year old daughter that was asked to move to developmental team. I believe the plan is that she will compete Level 3 or 4 next year, depending on her development. I was a little hesitant to move her, although glad that they wanted her, because she will start school next year and lots of times at the end of the day she is just worn out. We decided to try this summer. She has gone 3 times now. The first two times her old preschool teacher taught her. She loved everything but the splits. :) I think my daughter is the youngest in the class and most of the other kids are around 7. There may a six year old in there as well. My daughter is tall for her age and very verbal, so she would probably pass for at least a six year old if you didn't know. She is smart, and pretty talented gymnasticsally, but is not as mature as a 7 year old. She acts very FIVE sometimes, an example being when they were running the floor she would cut the corners and go from the end of the line to the start of the line before a big girl cut her back down to size.

This week, she complained a little about the splits before we went. I told her that I knew that it hurt but I'd watch her and if she stayed in the whole time she could have her favorite snack after class. (Chex Mix, which I'd brought anyway.)

Well, the old teacher was gone and a new teacher was there last night. The old teacher was great! She worked with preschool as well and so worked well with the smaller girls. The new teacher was more coach than teacher, I guess is the best way to do it. She started class running the girls. After their first event, my daughter came to get a drink and told me the new coach was mean and she yells at them and makes them do conditioning if they bend their knees or mess up. I was watching the class and I don't think the coach was mean--just strict and demanding. My daughter's legs were straighter than they ever have been before. ;) But, she wasn't smiley and lovey like my daughter is used to. Towards the end of the class my daughter leaped over a mat on her way to the water fountain. The coach apparently told her she had 10 push ups to do. I didn't know about this until she came home, told me, and then said, "But if you go to the water fountain and take a long drink, the coach will forget and then I didn't have to do them." :eek: I made her do the 10 pushups at home because I didn't want her to think she could get away with that, but she cried, said her arms were shaking they were so tired, and said maybe she'd like to go back to her old class and she wasn't sure she liked her Developmental Class. She doesn't get the difference in developmental team and rec class except that in her new class she has a "mean" teacher and has to do long splits and conditioning. They don't push them down in their splits, but their not gently about adjusting their position either.

I know that was a lot to type, but I'm torn in that I don't want her to get the attitude that if it's hard, she should quit. However, a big part of me also says she's only five. She hasn't even started school yet. I don't want to make her stay on Dev. Team and burn her out before second grade.

What would you do?

I'd give it a little longer. I have a 5 year old Level 4 who is with kids 7-11 and I think it works out fine. I was very reluctant at first. She complained about little things at first and wanted to go back to her old group. She complained about having to climb the rope with no feet and how strict they were about striaght legs, hand position etc. I'd remind her about silly things she liked about level 4 like having her own locker and snack break. That always did the trick. I haven't heard a complaint since probably the 2nd week.

Kids are a lot like adults and we often don't like change either. I would definitely let her go back to her old class if it's too much with school or the complaining continues. You want her to be happy before everything else.

My dd started gymnastics last year at the age of six, and at her trial, they put her right into the developmental class...so instead of a 1hr class twice a week we started with a 2hr class twice a week. (!) However, my dd saw all the trophies and medals at the gym and said that she wanted those, too...that's been her motivation! lol. She progressed quickly, and is on the level 4 team and competing her first season this fall. So-yes, developmental is harder and they push those kids with potential further. My dd had a strict coach who was a college gymnast teach her developmental class...for example: if the girls fell off the beam while conditioning, 10 pushups. Let me tell you...they hardly ever fell off! But my dd loved that coach! (still does)

I wouldn't move your dd to rec if she's just still adjusting to the coach and the conditioning...it WILL be harder until she starts to benefit from it. Now if the coach was really mean, I'd have to speak up...but it seems as though you don't think that is the case.
However, if she can't do school and developmental and it is too much of a drain for her, then I'd move her back to rec until she adjusts to school...school comes first. and she IS only 5...you can't compete level 4 until you are at least 6 yrs anyway.

I bet she ends up liking this coach, too...there's always a "getting to know each other" phase..lol

Keep us posted and good luck to her! sounds like you have a special little gymmie!

Pickle was in a developmental class at 5 (just as she was entering Kindergarten) as well. It takes some adjustment to go from having a pre-school teacher to having a real coach. But I wouldn't give up yet. If you think this is something she will grow to enjoy, encourage her to stick with it.

There's a girl on Pickle's team who was 4 when she entered the developmental class. She made us all crazy. She was so undisciplined and just couldn't get into a serious gymnastics spirit. She also complained a lot and I wondered why her mom was having her continue. Now at 7 she is an amazing young L5 gymnast. I really think her mom knew best in this case when she had her daughter stay in the program.

Good luck to you.

Thank you all for your responses. We will see how she feels about going next week. She enjoys everything but the splits and conditioning, but as those are at the start and end of class, that is what she remembers going home!

I appreciated the story of the little four year old undisciplined gymnast! Thank you! That sounds very much like my daughter and I'm hoping the gymnastics will help.

I also would encourage you to help your dd go to a few more classes. Try and explain that her new coach doesn't know them at all and they don't know her. so it may take a few classes before everyone feels "comfortable." If she's still unhappy in 3-4 weeks or it beomes a struggle to get her to go, then you might want to consider moving her to another class for awhile. Not every child is ready for this at age 5.

One thing that bothers me is the conditioning used as punishment. Sitting out is better for younger kids--usually sitting out something they enjoy. Don't make her do some punishment at home because she figured how to get around it at the gym. Keep the lines of mom and coach very clear.

GL and hope that the class will smooth out in the next few weeks.

I'd ask her to try one more time but otherwise it sounds too hard on her. I wouldn't hesistate to wait another year. At this age having to do push ups for going over a mat is not really in line with developmental expectations. I'm not saying 5 year olds should run wild but occasionally there are going to be lapses that require correction, but verbal should be enough, sit out if the behavior is really bad and ongoing.

Complaining before the class has even started and bribing to go to class is a bad sign in my experience. I'm not trying to criticize you, I'm just saying I've seen it before and rarely does it end with the kid independently wanting to continue. If she keeps complaining before class and asking to go back to the old class, I'd just go back for awhile.

I agree with gymdog and NGL780309, I would try a couple more classes before making a decision. All transitions take a while to sort themselves out. That being said, I am of the mindset that Kindergarten is a little early to look at any sport "seriously." There are just too many factors - ability only being one of them. For my kids, and they are VERY different, a little slower was better for both of them. Maturity, control of emotion, understanding WHY a coach asks a child to do something are things that come when the child is ready. And even though my DS and DD couldn't be more different, those things are coming to them when they are ready.

So, I guess my suggestion is to look at the whole picture. She acts 5 because she is 5 and I think you said she will just be starting kindergarten. There is a lot that of change and development that goes on with a child at this age and maybe not having her try to make all advancememts (into school and different gym class environment) should happen so close together.

Good luck, I hope whatever you choose goes well!

My daughter started dev classes at five years old. She has one great coach that gets five year olds. And, she has one coach like you describe. My dd now talks about quitting on the days she has the mean coach. It is evaluation time and I am hoping that she has made enough progress to move Up. Then she would have the first coach but not the second any more. If she isn't ready to move up, well, I am going to move her out of dev classes. Dd is only six.

My advice is to watch carefully. But I don't think it is worth it at this age.

Blue

Something else I said to my DD when she first moved to level 4 and was saying she wanted to go back to her old class for such and such reason was , "Okay that's fine with me. When you go to your next practice we can let them know." She immediately said nevermind she wanted to stay. Sometimes I think kids just want to feel like they are in control. My DD does anyway.

2 of the girls closest to DD's age often take days off and one only comes to 2 of the 3 practices. I'm friends with both of their moms and they just feel their kids need the break. So DD sees this and will say she needs a break. When I ask her why she says because M and S both get breaks. I always want her to know that gymnastics is HER choice so I always say, "Okay let me email your coach and tell her you aren't coming tomorrow." She's never actually stayed home. I just think she likes the choice. It's her personality in discipline also. I can get her to behave, clean her room etc by giving her choices so she feels in control.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back