WAG Difference??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

kassgymnast_

Gymnast
Reaction score
I see this everywhere but never have seen a COMPLETE answer. What is the difference between AGA, USAG, USAIG (whatever it is), AND TAAF? I compete USAG and AGA but what's the difference between those and the others??

You know what AGA is. You also compete USAG JO so you know about that.
USAG also has Xcel which is a 5 division Optional Routine Only program for gymnasts of all skill levels starting with the equivalent of JO Level 1-2. The divisions, in order, are Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Diamond.
USAIGC is an Independent gymnastics program that is also Optional Routines Only, but they have 6 levels and they have mandatory move up scores, whereas, USAG programs do not have mandatory move up scores. The USAIGC levels are Copper, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Premier. Their Bronze is more like JO Level 4-5 skills.
From what I have read, TAAF is a Texas program that is similar to JO, but scored easier.

I hope this helps.

I'm in the process of learning all about USAIGC, so I can probably give you some info. Puma Jr did L5 until last week and is in between an IGC Bronze and Silver (will be starting competing Bronze) to give you a reference. From what I've seen so far(at least in my area), IGC Bronze floor is more L4ish, but beam and bars is more L5/6ish. Vault can be FHS or 1/2 on-repulsion off. I assumed she'd be Silver going in, but Silver can be closer to L6/7, and though she "has" those skills, she was a struggling L5 form wise. Silver can do Giants and beam BHS and there are more vault options. IGC Gold is no joke! I'd say L7/8ish from what I know so far? Definitely a lot higher than Xcel Gold, which Puma Jr competed in between L3 and L4. First IGC meet this weekend, so I'll see first hand what they actually compete and how they look form wise compared to JO. Good luck!

TAAF is Texas-specific, and I only looked into it for a few months when we were looking at new gyms, so I could be wrong, but I believe TAAF is the same exact code of points and judging criteria as USAG JO, just designed to be lower hours, and thus less competitive. Here in our area there is a gym chain that competes TAAF, but goes the same hours as our competitive JO gyms and based on the meet scores looks a lot like shooting fish in a barrel. I believe TAAF is like AGA in that they both put you in divisions based on all around score? Xcel and JO do not do that.

When I first looked at it several years ago, very few gyms in our area did USAG Xcel and it looked like we were going to have to look at TAAF, but Xcel really seems to have gained in popularity and now I think more gyms are doing Xcel. AGA doesn't even exist in our part of Texas. Our gym now uses Xcel as a bypass for compulsories, and based on what I'm seeing, I think a few others are starting to as well.

TAAF goes to level 8
Xcel goes to Diamond, which is like level 8

Girls who want to continue after those levels would probably petition into JO optionals. The gyms I know using Xcel for compulsories seem to do it after Platinum.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back