Discouraged - a New Group

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Mack_the_Ripper

Well, I have to say, I'm a little discouraged at the new group we have. Since this is our optional season but I won't be competing until next January-ish, I can't train with the optionals even though I'm working level seven skills (don't have all of them yet). So I'm training with some girls who competed level 6 with me, some of whom might not do level 7 next year, some of whom probably will (like me), and also some girls who just competed 5 and are training level 6/7 for next year. On beam, many of them are the same as me or more advanced, but on floor and bars it can be difficult to train to everybody's skill level, especially when working on things like front tumbling where I'd like to try FHS-tucks to a resi or 8-inch mat but they're working on doing proper step-outs.

There's one girl who was moved up to our group because they're hoping she'll do TOPS...but she's six years old. She doesn't even have a kip on bars or back/front tucks on floor. It's a little bit of a pain to be in the same group as somebody who can't even stay in a straight line on floor and spends half her time hanging off of me...it's just because she's young, but I'm like "Excuuuuse me, I'm not a babysitter!"

Good news is that the optional team is flying to an away meet this week, but those girls who competed level 6 couldn't sign up in time, so they're staying and working out with us! I get my old group back for a week, plus the newbies! Our old group had a really good dynamic, even though we had an 8-year age range, we were really close. Actually, with the new 6-year-old and me, the age range is almost 10 years now. Great...

I repeat, "I'm here to do skills, not make sure K stands in line and doesn't get hurt!"

Aww, hang in there! It can be tough having younger girls in the group, but you seem to be handling it well. Have you talked to your coach about the age difference, and how you would rather train with the girls you are used to? I can see why being in a group with people at such different levels could get to be confusing. Good luck with the situation. Try to remember that, as annoying as she is, she looks up to you as an older gymnast, and that's probably why she's always near you. ;) (You could also bring up the fact with your coach that the 6 year old would probably be happier with kids her own age, as well!)

Yes I agree. The 6 year old doesnt have to be in the group if she is training TOPS. Also she would be a lor happier in a group with kids her smae age and skill level. I know that she is going to feel very out of place if you are training giants and she cant even do a kip. You just have to rememberr that she looks up to you as a gymnast. I agree about talking to the coach about this issue. Is there a way she could train with your group one day a week and her level group the rest of the week or something like that. I remember when i was level 6/7 we trained with the optional team one staurday one day a week and that helped a lot. No need to train with them everyday of the week.

I have spent much of my gymnastics career flailing in the background while the other gymnasts completed every assignment with apparent ease, so I know that being in the wrong skill group can be very irritating on both sides.

Maybe you could ask your coach for special permission to train with the optionals, maybe not every practice, but at least on a regular basis? (If the six year old is allowed to train with a more advanced group, why not you?) I trained with level 5 team for 6 months before I actually competed.

Thanks for everyone's responses! I'm pretty sure that once the optional competing season is over, I'll be with them. It's just that it's hard to practice together if they're doing routines and I'm trying to get my skills. And that six-year-old is growing on me...though I had to tape her wrist like forty times today, she's a sweetie and gave me a valentine, and I try to set a good example for her and the other little 'uns. I'm used to age differences, though this one is a little extreme. Practice tonight was good though - it looks like I'll get my back handspring on beam and maybe a front handspring too, soon.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back