WAG Discussion of abuse in USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At this point coaches with girls going to the ranch need to band together and boycott the camps, demanding change. The girls are the currency, without them the ranch is nothing. It needs to be gone, people need to get angry and parents need to demand change.

I am gobsmacked that with over 140 victims, including whole Olympic teams, nothing is actually changing besides a nice new document saying they will do better. Larry will get locked up, but nothing will change at USAG. The victims will have to return to train at the very place they were abused. For the parents of camp gymnasts who have not been abused, now is your time to rise up and say this is not okay.

I can't read through 22 pages of comments, but surely the the Karolyis and Liukin are more involved than they are fessing up to. Why was Nastia spared the abuse? Is she just refusing to say it happened to her too?

At this point coaches with girls going to the ranch need to band together and boycott the camps, demanding change. The girls are the currency, without them the ranch is nothing. It needs to be gone, people need to get angry and parents need to demand change.

I am gobsmacked that with over 140 victims, including whole Olympic teams, nothing is actually changing besides a nice new document saying they will do better. Larry will get locked up, but nothing will change at USAG. The victims will have to return to train at the very place they were abused. For the parents of camp gymnasts who have not been abused, now is your time to rise up and say this is not okay.

sad -sounds like still at this point, no one willing to jeopardize their kid's chance of making the 2020 olympics by taking a stand..

I can't read through 22 pages of comments, but surely the the Karolyis and Liukin are more involved than they are fessing up to. Why was Nastia spared the abuse? Is she just refusing to say it happened to her too?
I don't think we have the right to force any of the victims to go public. I am not a Nastia fan in any way, but if she wasn't spared, she has every right to keep it private if she wants to.

sad -sounds like still at this point, no one willing to jeopardize their kid's chance of making the 2020 olympics by taking a stand..
Perhaps as an adult, who represents and makes decisions for herself, Simone can get the parents of the girls who are minors on board.

I mean, her comments already imply that she has no desire to return to the ranch

100%, no one should feel obliged to come forward. It is enough to be a victim without being victimised for not coming out to the public.

I agree 1000% and didn't mean to imply that she needs to come forward. I am concerned about what her father may have known.

Nastia was a while back. Have others from her generation come forward ?

The '04 and '08 national and Olympic squads have been strangely silent. I hope they were spared but I'm afraid they are part of the silent majority.. At least a few of the '00 national team has admitted they were victims.

I wonder whether perhaps some of those girls, many of whom are still involved with gymnastics and beginning coaching careers or working in some way with USAG, feel pressure to stay silent because of possible implications for their livelihoods. I very much hope this isn't the case. I would love to believe that they are silent because they weren't abused - but it seems unlikely that Nassar decided to take a break from his horrendous misdeeds for eight years. In any case, they will come forward if and when they feel comfortable to do so.

On a different but related topic, should we change the name of this thread (is that even possible)? It's morphed into the general thread to discuss the topic.

With both 2012's and 2016's highly decorated squads having mostly come out as victims, I don't think anyone's career is at risk at this point. It's a very painful and personal type of injury, however, so no one should feel compelled or even encouraged to announce publicly that she was victimized.

The Ranch has to go. Burn it down and salt the earth with tears. We can presume that anyone who's been an elite since before Nassar's separation from USAG was a victim. No one should have to return to the place of a traumatic sexual injury in order to pursue elite athletic goals.

How many elite coaches and gyms would it take to shut it down? I bet a pledge among WOGA, Parkettes, Texas Dreams, Brestyan's, Chow's, World Champions Center, and maybe two or three others would get USAG's attention. That's actually not a big organizational effort if someone out there has the contacts and relationships to make it happen.

The Ranch has to go. Burn it down and salt the earth with tears. We can presume that anyone who's been an elite since before Nassar's separation from USAG was a victim. No one should have to return to the place of a traumatic sexual injury in order to pursue elite athletic goals.

This is my feeling too. The ranch days need to be history. Gymnasts need to train in a safe environment that was not the scene of multiple sex crimes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back