WAG Discussion of abuse in USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just want to acknowledge what a tremendously hard day this is for our fine coaches, many of whom have given their lives to this sport that they love so much. For us parents, as involved as we are, it's a transient thing for us and our engagement is connected vicariously through our children. For you all, though, who've worked so hard to build great training environments, the sense of betrayal and loss must be enormous.

It is heartbreaking to watch some of the testimonies shared today. As hard as that has to be for them, how wonderful it is that they have the opportunity to share their truth with Larry sitting there having to listen to every word. I hope it is the start of healing for those victims. The judge has been so caring and understanding of the pain they have gone through, some for many years.

What a horrible thing that has gone on far too long...

I just want to acknowledge what a tremendously hard day this is for our fine coaches, many of whom have given their lives to this sport that they love so much. For us parents, as involved as we are, it's a transient thing for us and our engagement is connected vicariously through our children. For you all, though, who've worked so hard to build great training environments, the sense of betrayal and loss must be enormous.

Yes. This. My heart breaks for so many today.

It is heartbreaking to watch some of the testimonies shared today. As hard as that has to be for them, how wonderful it is that they have the opportunity to share their truth with Larry sitting there having to listen to every word. I hope it is the start of healing for those victims. The judge has been so caring and understanding of the pain they have gone through, some for many years.

What a horrible thing that has gone on far too long...

I hope every word of testimony given by each girl is seared into Larry Nassars mind forever. I hope their words haunt him, keep him up at night, echo over and over in his head. He doesn’t deserve a single moments peace from what he’s done.

Yep...our gym attends this meet. I have told the coach that I would not give any more of my money to Geddert and that my dd will not attend the meet next year. Our coach agreed and stated that our gym will not go to the meet again. (not because of me but they had already reached this conclusion)

The thing is, it has been well reported about Geddert for at least a year -- much longer for people who have been watching this. The people who chose to attend the Twistars meet this year already knew when they chose to attend and support Geddert and his gym. Saying you won't go next year now is a pretty hollow gesture.

Clearly your gym didn't care enough about the abuse to not go this year. Not just your gym, though. Lots of gyms, coaches and gym owners chose to turn a blind eye. The whispers have haunted him for years, but no one cared enough about the girls to actually stop supporting the machine. Maybe today's testimony will actually force people to change behavior -- not because they care, of course, (or they would have changed long ago) but because they would look bad to continue their support.

Whatever it takes, though.

I can't read through 22 pages of comments, but surely the the Karolyis and Liukin are more involved than they are fessing up to. Why was Nastia spared the abuse? Is she just refusing to say it happened to her too?

Nastia probably escaped the abuse cause her father was her coach and he was allowed to be with her at the ranch and at meets.... As you know, the victimized gymnasts’ parents were banned from being around - wouldn’t have been the case with her.

The thing is, it has been well reported about Geddert for at least a year -- much longer for people who have been watching this. The people who chose to attend the Twistars meet this year already knew when they chose to attend and support Geddert and his gym. Saying you won't go next year now is a pretty hollow gesture.

Clearly your gym didn't care enough about the abuse to not go this year. Not just your gym, though. Lots of gyms, coaches and gym owners chose to turn a blind eye. The whispers have haunted him for years, but no one cared enough about the girls to actually stop supporting the machine. Maybe today's testimony will actually force people to change behavior -- not because they care, of course, (or they would have changed long ago) but because they would look bad to continue their support.

Whatever it takes, though.

Wow...um ok I think your take on me is a little unfair. I really did not know or understand the involvement of Geddert until recently. Maybe it's because we don't live in MI but when I brought this up to other parents from our gym at the meet most had not heard of the case on Nasser let alone Geddert.

Wow...um ok I think your take on me is a little unfair. I really did not know or understand the involvement of Geddert until recently. Maybe it's because we don't live in MI but when I brought this up to other parents from our gym at the meet most had not heard of the case on Nasser let alone Geddert.

I do agree that a lot of parents have no idea about any Geddert involvement (most around here seem to know at least some details regarding Nassar). The other day a mom from another gym sent me a message that she was going to send her daughter to Twistars summer camp and was I interested. I told her absolutely not, and explained why, and she had no idea. I guess the thing that gets me a lot is that so many parents keep sending their kids to that gym. I truly don’t mean to offend anyone, and I understand it’s the most successful gym in Michigan, but I still don’t get it.

The '04 and '08 national and Olympic squads have been strangely silent. I hope they were spared but I'm afraid they are part of the silent majority.. At least a few of the '00 national team has admitted they were victims.

Nassar was very devious. I wonder if he backed off during 04-08 due to the constant prescence of Valeri and Andy Memmel during those quads. Maybe he thought that would make him more likely to be caught.

I also think it’s a little unfair to judge these parents as well. Sadly this scandal has received very little coverage in the mainstream media. I only know of Geddert because of this thread. I also don’t live in MI but all I knew of him was that he was Jordyn Weber’s coach. I had no clue that Nassar worked at his gym or that Geddert was tied to this investigation. Even ESPN special today did not mention his name. Unless you follow Gymnastics and this scandal closely, it’s not too hard to believe that people aren’t aware of his involvement, especially if like me you are still pretty new to the Gymnastics world.

I’m still very disappointed that a crime and scandal of this magnitude has still not received proper media coverage, especially with the #metoo movement popularity. Everyone knew about Penn State whether you were a football fan or not, and I feel that this situation should be given the same coverage.

I didn’t say anything about you or any other parent. I do not have a take on you.

I didn’t say anything about you or any other parent. I do not have a take on you.

Sorry I must have misunderstood your post quoted below

Since you quoted my post of going to the Twistar meet this year I thought you were speaking to me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back