Do you know your dd level yet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD will be competing level 8 this season. Unsure if she will have a split season with level 8/9 since it is such a big jump, but I am ok with doing the entire level 8 season. She just turned 9 over the summer so she still has plenty of time:)

She is also doing 6 hrs of competitive dance this year and will be traveling for competitions for that so she will also be balancing that and trying to figure out if she loves gym or dance more. I think it would be hard to be a L7 and above while trying to juggle the dance. So, this will be a big year for her.

I totally know what you mean and can feel for you!! We are in the same boat with juggling both dance and gym and even with the less hours and committment of the Mason Dixon gymnastics league, it is still getting to the point where something has got to give. That's why this year is the last one for gym :(. DD is fine with it and has so many more options with the dance opportunities--between Nutcrackers, ballet performances and trying out different styles such as tap, jazz, modern and lyrical, the dance will definitely keep her busy even without gym!

I totally know what you mean and can feel for you!! We are in the same boat with juggling both dance and gym and even with the less hours and committment of the Mason Dixon gymnastics league, it is still getting to the point where something has got to give. That's why this year is the last one for gym :(. DD is fine with it and has so many more options with the dance opportunities--between Nutcrackers, ballet performances and trying out different styles such as tap, jazz, modern and lyrical, the dance will definitely keep her busy even without gym!

Yes, my DD is likely going to have to choose next year because she also enters...gulp...middle school. She has activities 6 days a week right now and is managing okay but I told her this is not going to work beyond this year. I figure a year of dance with the competitions will give her a clear picture of which one she wants to go on with. L7's practice 5-6 days a week so if she wants to go to L7, that's going to be it. I think she is actually a much more naturally talented dancer. She is doing lyrical, ballet, tap, jazz, AND hip hop teams. I love watching the different styles and I am sure you do too. Here's to a great year to both our dancing queens! :)

Level 10!! Has all her skills and then some. Some coaches that have been scouting our upperclassmen have commented that she is college level on floor! Sorry, just a proud mama. I try not to sound like I'm bragging but I think its ok to be proud of her skills, and I'm excited about this season and feel good about it. Sometimes I don't because of issues in practice, but it has been a solid summer with no injuries (so far :p).

Just updating DDs level. She will be competing L4 this season. Thought she was going to do L3 (did L2 last season). They did away with L2 this season, and only had 4 girls training L3. (DD included). They all got the L3s skills right away. So the coaches said "lets see if they can get the L4 skills. They all have them. Not pretty Im sure..probably not the most consistant. But well enough they think they will be ready for their first year of L4. Dd will probably end up repeating L4 next year (well tech L3 by then..lol). We will just have to see how she is doing by the end of the season. She has 7 meets this year. 2 out of state (she had 4 in state meets last year). 6 of them are sanctioned meets and then the "L4 State FUN Meet".

DD will be competing her 2nd year of L9. Beam has been a struggle and was last year. She upgraded her floor this year, her vault is fine, She is doing a Tsuk Pike. Trying more and more to do a Layout.

She is also working on cleaning up her bars.

Level 6 at her brand new gym! I am adjusting to not being able to watch practices (O.K. I'm adjusting poorly, but adjusting). Due to some sort of shipping mix-up, the "regular" bars have not arrived yet so the only ones they have are over the pit. DD has never had a pit before and has not been able to jump to high bar over the pit and is struggling with her squat-on again (I thought she had that thing licked!). Even though I think she "knows" that she's safer falling into the pit than she would be onto a mat, I think having a big hole under her is freaking her out. 1st meet is about 5 weeks away, and when I bring up the possibility of her maybe having to scratch on bars at first, she is adamant that that is NOT going to happen and that she WILL get it. She seems very confident and laid-back about the fact that she'll get it in time... I'll chalk that up to a coach who is making her feel like it's not a big deal that she's a little freaked out by the pit right now. So if she's not worried, I guess I will work hard on not being worried either. She has only had 3 practices at the new gym, so I suppose that with only 3 practices in a new gym with longer hours and new coaches and new equipment, she's still going to be in the middle of a very steep learning curve. I just wish the new gym had opened in June instead of September. I know... chill out, Mom!:rolleyes:

Just wanted to chime in, since this topic has resurfaced, that things have gotten much better since I posted this. Regular bars came in, and once she started doing things on the regular bars again, she was able to transfer over to the pit bar (though she's still wary of things like vaulting into the pit). While her bar routine is not going to be pretty at the first meet (casts are not nearly high enough, among other things), she does "have it" and is apparently one of three (out of 6) who have been told that they will definitely be competing bars at the first meet. She's getting winded by the end of her floor routine, so that RO BHS BT is going to be a challenge. But everything else seems to be coming together for level 6. The coach has told her that she has the potential to have a really excellent beam routine so she's really going be pushing her on that. A far cry from her last gym where, once you had it "good enough", they basically stopped working on it with you.

DD is competing level 5 and everything seems to be coming together. I am sure the 3 additional hours in the gym per week has helped, but they seem to be working the girls harder this year. Focus is on really getting arms straight on kip and casting a little higher. Vault is coming along, but need to block off the vault more and not taking a step on the landing. Beam has slowly become one of her better events, so we're working on perfecting things and same goes for floor, as he has all of the skills consistently.

I just have no idea how hard level 5 judges are compare to level 4, so we'll see.... First meet not until November, so we still have a little time.

My DD8 almost 9 as she would say :) is going to be doing L5. She has all of her skills including both kips on the bars. Not always the prettiest things but they are there. The rest of her skills are doing quite well and it should be a year for her. We are doing 7 meets with three of them out of state.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back