WAG does this happen a lot?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Thanks for all of the opinions. I just cannot imagine in my field making so many assumptions and then also sharing then with your customers. Seems like an easy way to make fir unhappy customers. It really does surprise me the number of posters who indicate that coaches have shared such detailed expectations - considering how many things in gymnastics can throw a wrench in plans - injury, burn out, fear, difficulty with a skill, etc. But, my experience is not in sports, so this is a while new world to me.

Now, my DD started late (first rec class ash 7 1/2) and our HC and head optional coaches have both told us that they can see my dd going far. They are highly encouraging to her and really being our the hard worker in her. But, they aren't sharing detailed plans and she is actually repeating this season because they believe that getting her a better foundation and allowing her to be competitive will both help her on the long run. But, we also aren't showing her in the sport expecting scholarships (that's a long way, a lot of scary skills in the future if she gets there), but to get her to grow, become confident, and accomplish her goals.

We have a group of Level 3's that are going to score out of 4 in the spring, and compete 5 next year. If they are ready they will move into optionals spring of 2016. This plan has been shared with their parents, with the note that's what HC is working toward, nothing in gym is 100%.

When my dd skipped from training 4 to level 6, we were excited and shocked. We were not told ahead of time that this would happen. We received an email on a Friday and started training the following Monday. I think it is a great idea to share goals between coaches, gymnasts, and parents but in the world of gymnastics, nothing is certain.

Interesting topic because I just asked DD's coach after a parent meeting whether she was going to compete Spring season (Mar-May) too this coming year (her Fall season starts on Saturday and goes through mid Nov) and her coach said no and since she is L5 currently she wouldn't compete until Winter next year (since optionals only have one comp. season) and at that time they'll have her score out of Lvls 6 & 7 to then compete 8. I was completely surprised at the plan, but apparently she's working on L7 skills right now so with that amount of time ahead of her to continue training, that is where they project her to be. Clearly, as a level headed person that knows things don't always go to plan, I won't hold them to it... but as a parent it is nice to know what they are working toward as a goal.

Our gym doesn't tell us squat. "They said" that DD is in a group that is supposed to score out of L5 in one or two meets and finish as L6 in spring. But the compulsory schedule is out and they haven't even told us how many meets the girls will be doing. I have a feeling we'll only find out when the final competition schedule is released and our kid's name is NOT on it. I also have NO idea what the supposed L6 routines will look like, or why we're doing L6 and not L7, or much of anything.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back