Parents Does this seem accurate?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
True, maybe the cycle coach and the owner will both attend the meets. I still think $2,062 average per meet coaches fee seems crazy not to mention the $13.90 an hour for practices:
$445 a month
$111.25 a week
$55.62 a class (4 hours w/ 30 min snack break)
$13.90 an hour

Gymnastics is an expensive sport, but feel it shouldn’t be as much for beginner level. I’m trying to justify it all, but it’s hard.
It is an expensive sport and it will only go up. This is why I advocate for everyone to find out all the fees involved when they are first considering joining team. It's hard once the girls fall in love with it to then say no. Our gym gives us a breakdown for the tuition fees per level so I know what to expect as the levels move up. Our booster club also does the same for the dues - which is what covers the meet fees and coaches fees. I have 2 kids in the sport and currently pay >$11k a year, not counting our travel to the meets and any souvenir sweatshirt that they want at the meets or any extra Leos or shorts I buy for practice.

True, maybe the cycle coach and the owner will both attend the meets. I still think $2,062 average per meet coaches fee seems crazy not to mention the $13.90 an hour for practices

That’s what I’m afraid of. I feel if the entire team approached about the fees together, asking if instead paying upfront if we could pay a couple weeks before the meet to have a more accurate fee breakdown they’d have a hard time saying you can leave because they’re obviously needing the money. I heard from others (a little too late) that this gym being is the main reason so many families left the gym and went elsewhere. This year is a tester year for so many families to see if their young child is ready for the life of a gymnast:) I just wish it would be more reasonably priced starting out :/
$13.90 an hour really depends on where you live. We are paying around $8 an hour. Rec classes around here are around $20-30 an hour.

Not every gym will provide the same transparency as others nor do a lot like breaking down the numbers in my experience. Some gyms make money off their coach fees, and some only expense actual costs broken down per gymnast after the meets.

For 7 hrs/wk it's 600$ and for 10.5 hrs/wk it's 800$ paid every 8 wks where we are. Our meet fees are similar to yours with one or two fewer meets and last year we paid approximately 450$ for our coach fees.

That’s what I’m afraid of. I feel if the entire team approached about the fees together, asking if instead paying upfront if we could pay a couple weeks before the meet to have a more accurate fee breakdown they’d have a hard time saying you can leave because they’re obviously needing the money.

The real concern should be that a group approach like this almost always fails. I can guarantee you that in your group of 11, there are some who disagree and are just politely nodding along when this is discussed. These people will not participate in a group approach and may even call the coaches in support of their leadership. If you have a problem with fees, you should ask them.

The real concern should be that a group approach like this almost always fails. I can guarantee you that in your group of 11, there are some who disagree and are just politely nodding along when this is discussed. These people will not participate in a group approach and may even call the coaches in support of their leadership. If you have a problem with fees, you should ask them.
I can definitely see this happening unfortunately as it’s rare for an entire group to agree. I’m actually on this forum for about 6 other parents from our team as well as myself.
We would just appreciate more transparency for where exactly our money goes as it is a big amount. The gym be a private business I’m pretty sure doesn’t have to say, but it sure would be descent of them and we would respect them more if they would be more upfront about all of the tuition, fees, etc in person instead of a short and to the point email every so often.

The price of gymnastics classes and obviously competitive gymnastics makes me want to start a non profit for underprivileged youth so they can have a chance of experiencing gymnastics too. A gym not just for underprivileged but for anyone. Then reach out to retired olympians who may want to donate resources or their time to teach a camp that the gym will raise money for doing fundraisers with the families. Maybe gyms like this already exist or they may not. I just wish there were more opportunities for those less financially fortunate. I have a feeling some
Of the best gymnasts will come from families with less money… they will have the natural drive & fight in them.
I know I’m tired and rambling. I appreciate your input and unfortunately you’re likely right.
I’ll let you know the outcome ;)

We are on the other side of the country. So I'm not sure if my judgement is exactly comparable. Tuition is quite high, we pay about $650 for a high level Xcel training 18.5 hrs per week.
Leo $400
Warmups $150
Backpack $75 (we are not required to get a new one DD using same one)

Meet Fees
$125
$105
$115 (Travel Meet)
$100
$239 (Travel Meet)
$110
$95
$100 (States)

$1000 in meet fees
$800 coach fees
$1800

Plus flights, hotels, meet admission fees, obligatory meet swag, probably add at least another thousand to that. Aside from tuition, your prices are quite reasonable, gymnastics is an expensive sport.
Thank you for your breakdown, I appreciate it :) Just wanted to compare a bit to other gyms to put our minds at ease and know that it these prices are similar to others.
Gymnastics is an expensive sport for sure. I feel bad now knowing that my parents were struggling financially because of my gymnastics back in the day. :( I asked my 72 year old mom tonight about it. She never mentioned how expensive it was when I was young. I feel truly blessed being able to have the experiences I had in my childhood. I quit at 12 years old and level 9. My body hurt and I decided to focus on soccer and do cheerleading instead. I still miss doing gymnastics to this day.

It is an expensive sport and it will only go up. This is why I advocate for everyone to find out all the fees involved when they are first considering joining team. It's hard once the girls fall in love with it to then say no. Our gym gives us a breakdown for the tuition fees per level so I know what to expect as the levels move up. Our booster club also does the same for the dues - which is what covers the meet fees and coaches fees. I have 2 kids in the sport and currently pay >$11k a year, not counting our travel to the meets and any souvenir sweatshirt that they want at the meets or any extra Leos or shorts I buy for practice.
Thanks for the info. I do t even know if we have a booster club 🤔. I just did the math and yep, the yearly breakdown for our 8 yr old on bronze xcel is:
  • $7,240 a year (tuition, meet & coaches fees)
  • $850 (team Leo, warmup, registration, USAG, & team bag)
  • $8,090 YEAR ESTIMATED TOTAL
Not including travel expenses, souvenirs at meets, camps, privates, etc.

So I think I need to be a little more frugal with shopping now, lol 🤦‍♀️

Some of that seems high. The coach fee per meet is crazy! We pay 331 a month for 12 hours of training. Comp fees were almost 600. Body suit and track suit were close to 300 (our higher level teams pay more). I added all our fees up and for one year we pay close to 6000 for everything.

I can definitely see this happening unfortunately as it’s rare for an entire group to agree. I’m actually on this forum for about 6 other parents from our team as well as myself.
We would just appreciate more transparency for where exactly our money goes as it is a big amount. The gym be a private business I’m pretty sure doesn’t have to say, but it sure would be descent of them and we would respect them more if they would be more upfront about all of the tuition, fees, etc in person instead of a short and to the point email every so often.

The price of gymnastics classes and obviously competitive gymnastics makes me want to start a non profit for underprivileged youth so they can have a chance of experiencing gymnastics too. A gym not just for underprivileged but for anyone. Then reach out to retired olympians who may want to donate resources or their time to teach a camp that the gym will raise money for doing fundraisers with the families. Maybe gyms like this already exist or they may not. I just wish there were more opportunities for those less financially fortunate. I have a feeling some
Of the best gymnasts will come from families with less money… they will have the natural drive & fight in them.
I know I’m tired and rambling. I appreciate your input and unfortunately you’re likely right.
I’ll let you know the outcome ;)
This is the fate of almost any youth sport in America. It's all expensive. Space, equipment, coaches. Just be glad so far gymnastics competitions aren't stay to play. Where for the privilege to be allowed to play in the tournament your team already paid the entrance fee for you are required to book your hotel at the designated hotel through the specified travel agency for a premium rate of course.

Legally, coaches need to be paid at least minimum wage for working at competitions. Which means most of the time they’ve will deserve overtime pay. Many states laws also require paid travel time to/from competitions, plus mileage on many cases. Coaches work a ton at competitions - after a long week of their regular jobs. You are getting a lot of info, and it’s much better to over collect than under collect. There are also taxes, etc to consider-
You mention trust- do you not think the gym giving you such a breakdown is being trustworthy? What guys are getting is pretty transparent - especially when a gym can only estimate a budget . I would tread carefully with getting a bunch of moms together to ask for more info. Your fees seem quite in line to me as a long time coach & gym owner. Your gym might have a less expensive option (we have a 1day/week rec team, for example).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back