WAG Does this sound like a stress fracture?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a former level 10 gymnast, after nationals my senior year in high school my body could not longer handle the training, so I stopped and now run track in college where I am a heptathlete. Like every gymnast, I've endured many injuries; including broken back, dislocated elbow, cracked hip ect. but surprisingly no stress fractures. A few weeks ago at our conference championships I sprained two ligaments in my foot and injured my achilles high jumping. I didn't realize since I have such a high pain tolerance thanks to gymnastics. I took almost 2 weeks off and started practice again the middle of last week. I realized the lateral side of my heel starting to hurt and get worse with more activity, but get better after I was done and iced it. Every day the pain gets worse and takes longer to subside especially after hurdling, high jumping or long jumping. I've also noticed what looks like some swelling, but no bruising and the area feels somewhat warm. I've preformed the "cup test" where you squeeze either side of your heel and it recreates the pain. I don't want to say anything to my coaches because they just offered me a scholarship for next year so I don't want it to be taken away, our outdoor conference meet is in a month I want to try and finish the season. I just need to know if my symptoms sound like a stress fracture? If so I guess I'll have to bring it up to them. Athletes, coaches, parents any idea?

okay, that's smart..."don't want to say anything to my coaches". i don't understand your thought process. scholarship or not. and i highly doubt that a fracture in your heel will preclude you from earning a scholarship since they offered you for past performance. a problem with your heel doesn't change that.

now, go tell your coach so they can send you to the trainer for assessment and let them decide if you need a MD eval and xray. :)

This type of thing keeps happening to me also. My coach thinks it has something to do with the growth plate. It might be something that is called severs. Severs is very painful but doesn't actually do anything (I mean it doesn't give you any injures). You might want to go see a doctor about this and see if they can diagnose you with anything. Btw,severs doesn't show up on an X-ray so doctors just assume you have it. If you do have severs,try going to the DGS website and buying a cheetah paw (a thing that pads your heel so you can run,jump,ect). I hope your heel feels better soon!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Chloe, the poster above is in College. she is well past post menstrual and her growth plates are closed. it will not be calcaneal apophysitis or Severs. and she is a heptathlete.

heptathalon events which can crack a heel or talus or cause plantar problems are 100 meter hurdles, high jump and long jump. the other 4 are not so bad on the feet. although javelin can cause achilles tendonitis and turf toe.

so, this College athlete needs to see her trainer. that's all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back