Parents double back question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD, age 13.5, level 10, is supposed to be competing her double full and double back in her floor routine early March. She has her double full on floor but is still doing her double back onto hard matts (at floor level) on the pit. Does it make sense that she will have it ready on floor in 2.5 months? Her coach has it in her routine but she is worried she wont have it on floor in time.

double back onto hard matts (at floor level) on the pit.

That really doesn't simulate a real landing. Mats on a pit will still sink on impact. Put another 8" or 12" on top of the hard mat and land that.

Does it make sense that she will have it ready on floor in 2.5 months?

It's not a time thing... it's a when thing. When she can do it... then it's time.

Rushing it to the floor because you need/want to compete it in three months won't make it ready, but it will heighten the chance of injury.

At her age/level can she speak with the coach for some reassurance on her progress and timeframe for the skill? I am sure they have a planned timeline of progress and a backup plan.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes the coach says she should have it on floor by then. Apparently she is landing it on hard mats in the pit at floor level so the coach thinks she should be OK. My daughter really wants to compete it but is nervous she won't confidently have it by then. I will ask the coach about the backup plan.

The double back is a risky skill, if the gymnasts does not have it completely consistent.

She may already have the skill ready to do it on floor, but as it’s a relatively new skill for her, the coach is keeping it in the pit longer to ensure she is getting it 20 times out of 20 before moving it to floor.

A lot of intense landings also pits a lot of pressure on gymnasts joints. Coaches may be working skills into the pit to save wear and tear on joints.

The double back is a risky skill, if the gymnasts does not have it completely consistent.

She may already have the skill ready to do it on floor, but as it’s a relatively new skill for her, the coach is keeping it in the pit longer to ensure she is getting it 20 times out of 20 before moving it to floor.

A lot of intense landings also pits a lot of pressure on gymnasts joints. Coaches may be working skills into the pit to save wear and tear on joints.
Thanks. Yes, that makes perfect sense. I managed to ask the coach today and that is basically what she said to me as well. She has the skill but are doing more on a hard mat in the pit to save the wear and tear before the meets.

My DD, age 13.5, level 10, is supposed to be competing her double full and double back in her floor routine early March. She has her double full on floor but is still doing her double back onto hard matts (at floor level) on the pit. Does it make sense that she will have it ready on floor in 2.5 months? Her coach has it in her routine but she is worried she wont have it on floor in time.
I (gymnast) am not a level 10, but have seen the girls who work on double backs in my gym. It seems that this is a big skill to learn and assuming at age 13 she will keep doing level 10 she should be in no rush to add the double back in so soon. However, if she wants to, she can work hard to get it on the floor soon, but from the first time doing it on the floor to competing it, what I have noticed is the average level 10 gymnast needs at least 2 months of consistency on a double before it is completely ready to compete. It is really all about consistency and what she feels comfortable with. But many level 10s do not do doubles on floor and do just fine.

I (gymnast) am not a level 10, but have seen the girls who work on double backs in my gym. It seems that this is a big skill to learn and assuming at age 13 she will keep doing level 10 she should be in no rush to add the double back in so soon. However, if she wants to, she can work hard to get it on the floor soon, but from the first time doing it on the floor to competing it, what I have noticed is the average level 10 gymnast needs at least 2 months of consistency on a double before it is completely ready to compete. It is really all about consistency and what she feels comfortable with. But many level 10s do not do doubles on floor and do just fine.
Yes makes sense. It's just that her strong events are floor and beam and she relies in them for her AA score. Her vault is tsuk pike so she has a lower start value and bars is not her strong suite. For beam and floor she has always had a high start value and it helped her with her AA score.

Also, there needs to be consideration on her adding it in to the routine. That also will change the dynamics of the skill. I almost feel like having it on a mat into the pit and having it out on the comp floor is two totally different skills! There is a huge comfort level doing it on to a floor level mat into the pit. You put it out on the floor and into a timed routine its different. Just tell her to take her time. It is not worth her putting it out on the floor too soon and then rushing to put it into a routine and getting injured. She has time being that she is only 13. Trust me when i say that those tumbling skills are hard on their bodies. My daughter was made to have her double back on floor as a level 9 gymnast ( had it on the floor before she turned 11 )... She talks about it being so much on her body now as a 16 year old. Slow and steady wins the race!

Also, there needs to be consideration on her adding it in to the routine. That also will change the dynamics of the skill. I almost feel like having it on a mat into the pit and having it out on the comp floor is two totally different skills! There is a huge comfort level doing it on to a floor level mat into the pit. You put it out on the floor and into a timed routine its different. Just tell her to take her time. It is not worth her putting it out on the floor too soon and then rushing to put it into a routine and getting injured. She has time being that she is only 13. Trust me when i say that those tumbling skills are hard on their bodies. My daughter was made to have her double back on floor as a level 9 gymnast ( had it on the floor before she turned 11 )... She talks about it being so much on her body now as a 16 year old. Slow and steady wins the race!
This is amazing advice! I learned something here. Thank you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back