Off Topic e reader come tablet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Galadriel

Proud Parent
present
kindle fire?
nook?
for avid reader that walks down street with an open book !
but asked for something that is actually e reader come tablet ...
what would you recommend ?

They are pretty much the same. Comes down to where they buy books the most, Amazon or B&N.

well i guess more amazon!
are they equivalent?
i got told today if you want an e reader the basic kindle is better!
but she wants both in one!
so that is what i am looking for!

Both of my girls got Kindle Fires from my mom last Christmas and love them!

We use kindles as amazon has a huge selection of books. Checked out the Nook and Kobo and was not as impressed. The Kindle fire is a whole different animal though, as it isn't just an e-reader, they do not sell them in Canada, but I did get my hands on one in the USA. They are very nice, good size, clear screen etc. But they are quite a bit more expensive than just a regular kindle.

The fires are great. Like having a mini computer. The only drawback is if she reads outside a lot (beach, pool, park) the fires are hard to read in the sunlight. Also, if she is a bigtime reader, the regular kindled are better for the eyes. It's not good to read on the fires for long periods of time. Getting both would be best but that's expensive. So go with what she likes - the fire.

I think that if you use Amazon to order books, etc, then the kindle fire is your best bet for versatility and price. My girls use it or lots of things... Games, books, email, YouTube, etc. But for an avid reader, the library is still the best place to get books because ebooks on amazon are not cheap! Also, be aware that if you order for your kids on the same amazon account you order ebooks for yourself on(if/when you have your own ereader) they can access those books, even if you don't specifically send them to their ereaders. There may be books that you would read yourself that you wouldn't want your kids to read!

so if she wants a tablet come e reader would you say the extra $$$ it costs for the kindle fire is worth it?

btw dd is not gym dd and is 17 yo
didn't realise amazon was expensive for e books!
i Dont have one myself
where is cheaper?

I think prices are pretty comparable. Sometimes you can find books for $2.99 or occasionally even free but most are around $10-$12. The kindle actually costs less than they pay to make one... They figure they'll make their money through apps and ebooks.

All five of us share one amazon account and it works just fine. We have a very eclectic online library. There are many free ebooks on amazon, and lots of deals.

I have a kobo e-touch. For the price, it's around a 100$ CAN, I think it's doing the job pretty well. I like the fact that I can buy books from kobo website and also from the websites of some bookstores we have here. Mine is in black and white, and has wifi. I really only use it to read. I prefer it this way, I can read for hours in the sun without feeling my eyes getting tired. I've had it for a year and a half and it's still working as new. And there's a slot to add a memory card.

Some public libraries have lending programs for ebooks as well so you can check that out. And if you pay for amazon prime, you get to borrow one free book a month plus all the free shipping on things you order.

The fire is definitely worth the money. It's more a matter of which is better for reading and so you mind her having a mini computer. At 17, that's not an issue. But I chose not to by my kids the fire (all under 11 at the time) because I knew they would be too tempted by the games and internet when they were supposed to be reading.

I'm a big reader and I have a basic kindle - I love it and use it every day. The mat screen means that I can read wherever and in whatever light conditions (I have a cover with a built in light for reading in the middle of the night, which I do a lot!) I don't know if it's different over here, but I find the ebooks are usually a bit cheaper than the hard copies and a friend gave me a memory stick with about 2000 classics on too.

My personal preference is to have one tool to do one job well - kindle to read, mobile to call and text, computer to work on. Don't get me wrong I can see the apeal of tablets but I think when trying to get something to do several different, and not necessarilly complimetary jobs, something is always going to be compromised. From what I've seen of the fire and other similar tablets, it's the screen issue which causes problems with glare and isn't quite as reader friendly.

From what I've seen there's not much between them performance wise, so it's down to personal preference on looks, where they buy books from and what other tasks it'll be used for.

All that said, I wouldn't say no if I was offered any!

We're Nook fans ourselves. I bought them for DS and DD for eReaders a couple years ago. A Nook certainly has game functionality, but when I want them to read, I don't think they need all the distractions. The Nook was the first with color and wifi - I was an early adopter so they've kept some of my loyalty. I thought there used to be issues with library lending on a Kindle, but that may have been resolved by now. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Don't really expect to sway you.. buy my dh bought me a nook color three christmases ago...I still read it every day. I have had it at the beach. It's been through two updates. I love it!!! It's a little slow on the online stuff, but for a reader, I absolutely LOVE it!!!

I have a Kindle Fire and I love it. I read a lot (2 books a week) and I take it with me everywhere.
I live at the beach and I use it sitting on the beach all of the time. You just have to adjust the settings to avoid any glare.
My kids all have them as well. We all use the same amazon account and it works well for us.

well i bit the bullet and bought the basic kindle with a blue leather case!
also got her and her sister together a facial and massage for January on a 'reduced' local internet deal!
it is nice for them to do a girly thing together - it is 10 minutes away on the train!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back