Parents Early Release School Accomodations

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi!
Has anyone ever had much success in asking for accommodations for training schedule from a school that is NOT usually on an early release schedule? How did you go about asking? Or is it more likely to work going through a school that has that schedule for athletes already in place? Thanks!

Yes… my daughter modified school hours in a traditional public school for 6 years. It just depends on who is running the school and how the school board feels. Just ask… the worst thing they can do is say no.

Hi!
Has anyone ever had much success in asking for accommodations for training schedule from a school that is NOT usually on an early release schedule? How did you go about asking? Or is it more likely to work going through a school that has that schedule for athletes already in place? Thanks!
Agree! It never hurts to ask and has been so beneficial in the upper levels. It gets tricky in high school because they have to meet the state requirements for graduation. Middle school was easier to negotiate. I'm sure it is easier if the school already has a modified schedule system in place, but our schools did not have anything in place. We presented them with the info on the number of training hours per week and explained that we were trying to balance academics with extracurriculars, but the academics was always the top priority. My kids did social studies mostly over the computer and were responsible for staying on top of assignments and scheduling tests with the teacher to minimize any extra work on the teachers' parts due to them not being physically present in class. They were hyper organized and managed the schedule very well. I know that the school had a few other children who adopted the modified schedule for gymnastics training and the school eventually adopted a minimum GPA that the students had to maintain.

My son is in middle school and initially when I asked I was told no. School district said no. Everyone told me our school district is the worst with accommodating request like early release. I went into the office and personally had a chat with the principal, brought in his typical training schedule, and the principal gave us the green light. I think it’s just finding the right person and go in prepared with why your child wouldn’t. E missing out. So the school essentially put him in 6th period PE, but he leaves right after 5th period.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back