WAG easiest aerial skill - what do you think? side, front back lay?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Reaction score
Gymnasts, Coaches, Parents, Acrobats.... whoever knows about this.

What do you think is the easiest Aerial Skill? Side Aerial, Front Aerial or Back Handspring step out Layout step out?

What is the easiest of the 3 to put on beam?

And why do you think this or that is easier/harder than the other ones?

I know it depends on flexibility in those skills. So let's say the gymnast is really flexible in splits and back/shoulders.

My daughter got those skills in this order: layout, side, front. She had a harder time than most on a side aerial. She was actually landing fulls before she did her side aerial.

She doesn't have any of those skills on the beam but we had a girl who had a beautiful side aerial on beam but none of the other two skills. We also have a girl who is working the blo on beam but never trains the side.

Based on the skill rating, layout step outs should be easier as it is a C; and front and side aerials are D skills. That aside, my daughter was doing a front aerial and side aerial in the low beam before she ever did a layout step out. But she competed a layout step out first. So it would seem, training is longer on the front and side aerials. Hence its higher skill level. But I think it is subjective because some gymnasts have trouble (fears) going backwards making the layout step out more difficult.

I also think good coaching will make any of these skills easier. We had two guest coaches over the year that provided her with tips on her aerial skills. She could not beleive how proficient and consistent she has become just based on little tips here and there. These coaches also helped her floor tumbling skills. She was doing "blind" gymnastics up until then.

I think side is easier to learn on the floor and side and back are easier to put on a beam. While a back is physically easier if you get the technique, most people need the connection to a handspring to complete the skill. I the front arial is the hardest to learn and do on a beam in my opinion. Harder doesn't mean impossible, get some good coaching and some determination and you're good.

DD does all three on the beam. I would say they were pretty equal for her to learn. If you would ask her she says the side aerial on beam is the hardest for her.

DD does all three on the beam. I would say they were pretty equal for her to learn. If you would ask her she says the side aerial on beam is the hardest for her.

My younger dd does all three on beam as well and she would agree! My older dd can only do the side aerial of those three skills so she would whole heartedly disagree!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back