Parents Elbow hyperextention anyone?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sheplaysinthechalk

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
This is NOT a post for medical advice, just wondering if anyone had dealt with this type of injury and how long was your child out?

My 9 year old daughter was doing one of her regular power tumbling passes (roundoff full whip whip full flic full punch front). This is a pass that she has done a thousand times. Somehow she misjudged her awareness from the full into the handspring and hyperextended her elbow. We iced it, but she woke up swollen and in pain that night. Took her to the orthopedic dr for an X-ray the next morning. They found a fractured growth plate on her elbow consistent with hyperextention. They put her in a full arm cast and said she would only be castes for ten days and would probably be able to return to all activities full out with no problems as tolerated. I'm sure they will give her a hyperextention elbow support of some kind....has anyone else dealt with this type of injury? What was your child's recovery time like?

I don't know that much about the injury you're describing, but it seems an awfully quick return to full activities as pain/tolerated allows.

This happened to my daughter about a year ago - she was working on the fast track, probably tired at the end of a long holiday session, couldn't control a simple ro/flic and 'went over' on her elbow. Coach said she wept a little and they iced it but the next morning she couldn't move it, couldn't lift her arm even to 90 degrees, couldn't take her pj's off! It was quite swollen. Same diagnosis, but they didn't put a cast on.

For the first few days it hurt her a lot and she could barely move her arm. After a week she could move it ok, but it hurt to straighten it completely and put weight on it. She went back in the gym, with the club physio saying the same thing - work normally but if it hurts stop doing it! He said to avoid handstands and prolonged strength work for another week. Instead he gave her some exercises with her theraband.

I'd say it was another week after that before she was back to doing full training, but that's all. It hurt occasionally in handstand for a bit longer and she still had to do the exercises for a few more weeks as it felt strange to fully straighten it. I can't remember exactly that happened for, but really not long and it didn't stop her fully training.

Hopefully it will be ok really soon. Good luck.

I don't know that much about the injury you're describing, but it seems an awfully quick return to full activities as pain/tolerated allows.

I thought so too, but this was coming from the urgent care doctor and not the surgeon that will assess her when the cast comes off, so we'll see what he has to say. The surgeon saw us briefly, because the urgent care doc consulted with him before casting her. Surgeon confirmed fracture and wanted her castes and to return to see him I'm ten days. We'll see what happens when we go back.
Speaking of going back, dd has been complaining about her cast "digging into her wrist where her none sticks out, pushing on her elbow at the fracture site, and cutting into her skin where it wraps around near her thumb"...we have had a TERRIBLE weekend with pain and a very uncomfy cast. Gonna call this morning and see if we can get it changed or if there is anything they can do for her.

This happened to my daughter 2 years ago. (When she was 10) She was finishing up a tumbling rotation, was tired, and hyperextended her elbow on a ROBHS. She was diagnosed with the growth plate fracture. It wasn't casted, but it felt better for the first week in a sling. It also hurt more when she didn't move the elbow once and awhile, so she was in and out of the sling a lot. It took about 8 weeks for her to return to full use during practice. We let pain be her guide in how fast to progress. She did a lot of conditioning in those 8 weeks.

She says that it still bothers her sometimes when she tumbles, but only at a low pain level. Usually the elbow is fine at the next practice.

I hope your daughter gets the uncomfortable cast issue resolved as quickly as possible, and that she heals very fast!

have them re-do the cast. it should be perfectly comfortable. well, kind of an oxymoron. and it depends where the fracture is. they will see it better on the next set of xrays once the cast comes off. it is possible she'll be back at it in 3 weeks.:)

We were in and out this morning. We have an AWESOME orthopedic clinic here in town that people come to from all over the united states. They took one look at her cast and took it off immediately. The urgent care doc examined her elbow. Still way swollen and bruised, but the really good news was that she had more rom today after only 3 days in a cast! He consulted the surgeon and they almost left the hard cast off and put her in a soft cast, but decided to play it safe. Her new cast is so much more comfortable - she feels SO much better. So glad I took her back in!

So happy the new cast feels better. It is hard enough to be injured without a cast that is making it feel worse.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back