WAG Evolution of the bars!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

notthatmom

Proud Parent
Not sure if this has been shared on here before but it's insanely fun to watch! It's cool to see how much has changed over the decades. If this was 1950 or 1960, my kid could go to the Olympics tomorrow!!

And ps. Can we bring the Korbut flip back?? Simply amazing!

Some of those earlier skills require insane shoulder flexibility. Hip flexibility too, but some of that stuff would be physically impossible by kids w/o good flexibility.

The thing that's really interesting to me is the transition between the 60s and the 70s. In the 60s, bar routines still looked a lot like aerobics exercises on an apparatus. But by the 70s, we had circling skills to handstand, single bar releases, and the predicates for today's transitions. I guess they say that Korbut brought something special and new and acrobatic in '72, and then by '76 everybody was trying to do that. Then by the 80s, the new style of women's gymnastics was fully up and running.

I also wonder a lot about what was lost from earlier decades because we didn't have footage of it. In videos like this you tend to see Vera Caslavska and Larisa Latynina representing the 60s. Korbut and Comaneci for the most part representing the early 70s. But videos probably weren't taken except at major competitions like the Olympics - I wonder what was done in training, or with gymnasts from less-well-represented countries that maybe didn't take any medals home.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back