Parents Exciting News

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MuggleMom

Proud Parent
We got the official notice for levels for next year and DD will be going to Level 4, moving up hours and she got her grips last night to break in after states this weekend. She is very excited and I am happy for her.

Now if we can just hit all 4 events at state this will be the perfect end to the season!

Good luck to everyone finishing up the year and for those finding out level placements/training groups for next year!

Congrats to her! My kiddo has to wait till after state (first weekend of May) to receive her evaluation and she is going nuts! Good luck at state! Our girls here don’t use grips for level 4, I don’t know if it’s more common to use them or not for level 4.

My daughter tried to put hers on just to feel them and did it incorrectly it was cute. I have a feeling that it will be a tough May for her breaking those in. She is good at bars and picks things up quickly so I think she will get super frustrated about regressing while she figures the grips out. Thats why I keep warning her expect to not be able to do ANYTHING. Hopefully that way if its not that bad she will be pleasantly surprised. New grips are never fun John tell your DD good luck!

It did take my dd about 4 months to re-learn her kip after getting grips. And really the whole summer to feel comfortable in them. Now she loves them and can't imagine doing bars without them.

I don’t get the grip thing. My DD didn’t lose any skills when she got hers, and had no problems breaking in new ones- she’s on her third pair currently. She must be really lucky!

Oh, and MuggleMom- congrats to your DD!

I don’t get the grip thing. My DD didn’t lose any skills when she got hers, and had no problems breaking in new ones- she’s on her third pair currently. She must be really lucky!

Oh, and MuggleMom- congrats to your DD!

I was the same way! Got grips, did a few glide swings and then just kinda jumped right into things. From what I can remember anyways. It was a long time ago haha.

I think I picked up grips pretty easy but I was older than DD was when I got mine. Her hands are tiny i think they are going to have to cut the grips some for them to fit her right. We will see. o_O

I think I picked up grips pretty easy but I was older than DD was when I got mine. Her hands are tiny i think they are going to have to cut the grips some for them to fit her right. We will see. o_O
Congrats to your dd!
English bulldog will custom make OOOO grips, pm me

English bulldog will custom make OOOO grips, pm me

I may have to do that DD is freaking out that her grips are wrong (too big) she is too short to jump to the high bar and too short to do level 4 vault. It was sad seeing her have a meltdown. I think she gets super anxious about change and is just stressed. She did the same thing when she first moved to level 3 and within two weeks she realized the world wasn't ending and she could learn new things. I am going to have her talk to the coaches about the grips and see what they say. There are girls on team now with smaller hands than her that are doing fine. Fingers crossed today is a good practice o_O

@MuggleMom Dani really had trouble using her grips when she first got them. She was very small. So she used them for half of bar practice and went gripless for the other half. As time went on she decided she liked grips and now the idea of no grips seems so distant. I speculate her grip strength became stronger and she grew some. How tall is your DD?

@MuggleMom Dani really had trouble using her grips when she first got them. She was very small. So she used them for half of bar practice and went gripless for the other half. As time went on she decided she liked grips and now the idea of no grips seems so distant. I speculate her grip strength became stronger and she grew some. How tall is your DD?
We actually had to have a "grips class" for our new-to-grips girls a couple weeks ago. Since we don't have a pro shop at our gym, HC always suggests going to one of the gyms about 30 minutes away that does have a pro shop with grips on site and they are supposed to be really good about fitting them. One girl got her grips (not sure if she went there or ordered online) and peeled off the high bar on her first tap swing... which she was doing without a coach right there figuring it was no big deal. HC came to her immediately (she was just at the other bar). Had her lay on the mat for a bit... made sure she was ok ... followed her out to get a drink of water and HC called her mom to let her know what had happened. When she came back into the gym, HC and Asst HC were flanking the girl as she tried it again... and peeled again... and the coaches caught her and landed her on her feet. Grip class started the next day. HC and I started by evaluating the grips. This particular girl's grips were too long where she was wearing them on her wrist, so we helped her move them down farther on the wrist so they fit better. When HC asked her how they felt when she tried again, she said they felt like "normal" - meaning like it felt when she didnt wear grips. She hasnt had a problem since :)

Congratulations--that is exciting news!

I think the beginning of L4 is a great time to get grips because they don't have too much to relearn, and the grips seem to help their confidence on the jump to high bar and the half-turn dismount. Our girls got grips right after L3 states and most adjusted quickly (all were already kipping). If she has a lot of trouble with the grips, you could look into styles that are narrower in the palm to allow her to feel the bar better. My kid is small with tiny hands, and the gym put her in Pixie Grips because they are narrower.

I may have to do that DD is freaking out that her grips are wrong (too big) she is too short to jump to the high bar and too short to do level 4 vault. It was sad seeing her have a meltdown. I think she gets super anxious about change and is just stressed. She did the same thing when she first moved to level 3 and within two weeks she realized the world wasn't ending and she could learn new things. I am going to have her talk to the coaches about the grips and see what they say. There are girls on team now with smaller hands than her that are doing fine. Fingers crossed today is a good practice o_O

If she has small hands, and at level 4 I'd think she does, try the Hot Shot grips which were made for smaller hands. My daughter used them from level 5 all the way through 4 years of NCAA and loved them...they have a thinner strip across the palm and she could always feel the bar around them and that's what she liked. Hot shots are sold by US Glove.

She tried them yesterday and didn't mind them so that is a good start. They did half of practice with grips and half without. She did her squat on and made it to the high bar and didn't die :D She also did alright on Vault (once again didn't die so that was good) She is like 49" tall so a little nugget.

Her friend told her the grips were too wide I said we need a coach to tell us if they are too wide. I am going to send an email to the compulsory director (she is my friend also and very helpful so its not like reaching way up the food chain for a simple question) I really like her bar coach but she isn't from the US and didn't use grips (even admits she doesn't know much about them) so in regards to this specific thing I would rather someone else evaluate the grip situation for fit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back