Coaches Favorite Splite Leap Drills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a group of girls struggling with split leaps and am hoping some of the coaches here can give me some new ideas for working with them.
Most of the girls have the basic idea, they have been working them for quite some time now, but unfortunately the problems they are having are all over the place, not just 1 or 2 common errors. There is a girl who can't seem to get her front leg up, the girls who forget their back leg, a girl with a beautiful split with floppy feet, and girls with gorgeous splits on the floor and tiny split leaps. Their floor routine contains a leap-hop (like in the level 4 routine) which is a complete disaster.
We have tried breaking it down (kicks, hop from one foot to the other, land a "pretend" leap to a step hop, leg tightening drills so they know what a tight leg feels like) and a few drills (leaps onto a panel mat, split jumps up onto a panel mat) and there hasn't been much of a change. If I really encourage them to think about their split leaps and "dig deep in their brains for a pretty split leap" they can do them reasonably well, but only with constant reminders. Hoping for some inspiration to get over this hump. Thanks in advance!

I have found hanging splits and straddles have really helped my kids. It makes the pull both legs and snap them back toget her in a quick dynamic fashion to strengthen the active flexibility. They may have great splits but not the muscle strength to pull into that split. Hanging one help this. Put it in your regular conditioning for a bit and see if you see improvement.
also using resistance bands will help them to feel the pull, hanging or doing split jumps on tramp with them.
Good luck.

I love hanging splits too! I also do a lot of split jumps on the trampoline. Both legs.

I also make my gymnast do some leaps from a board. And also by having them push with their leg on an elevated surface.

Finally, I ask them to go to the stall bar and put hang themselves. Then they have to put one foot on a bar that is about hips height. They have to keep that leg straight. With the other leg, the have to do kicks. It really helps with the girls who have a hard time with their back legs (bent or not high enough).

Also, ask them to look higher during their leap. A dance teacher gave me that tip and it really made a difference.

Finally, you can do kicks, but form an elevated surface. They often can lift their legs from the floor, but have a hard time doing it from higher.

These are all great ideas, thank you so much! I had not seen those videos before, lots of good stuff.
@catou Probably a dumb question, bu what do you mean kicks from an elevated surface? I'm picturing having them stand on a panel mat with one leg hanging off the side and kicking, but I'm not sure that is what you had in mind.

@coachmolly I have them stand in front of a panel mat (or ideally something higher). The have to put their front leg (the front one when they do a split leap) on it and lift it from there.

You can do the same thing with the back leg, with having the stand with their back to the mat and the back leg on it. Take something lower for that leg, as they can't go as high when then keep their torso upright.

Hope it helps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back