Favorites For London

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone!

So, this is my first time posting on this message board. We are 28 days away from the Olympics, and after watching the trials, I don't know if I am going to make it that long before exploding into a ball of excited emotion.

With all of the teams announced, who are your favorites for the events in London? Will all the favorites dominate the podium? Will we see some surprises?

I am hoping for a floor medal for Victoria Moors of Canada. Her routine is beautiful and full of great skills.

Welcome to the Chalkbucket.

I'm personally interested in seeing Ponor on the beam. I figured she probably wouldn't be a contender in London, but she looked great at the European Championships.

I definitely want to see Beth on the podium for Bars. Don't know whether she is in contention on floor or not - 2 medals would be the icing on the cake.

I really want to see Komova on the podium All Around.

Vault - Maroney(can they just give her all 3 medals?)
UB - Tweddle/ Mustafina
Beam - Ponor/Iordache
Floor - Raisman/Ponor/Iordache
AA - Douglas/Komova/Wieber(maybe Mustafina?)

Dont know much about what the Chinese or up to at the moment,
But would expect them to take a spot on UB and beam.

I have Wieber Fever, so I'm hoping she takes AA gold. Would love Gabby Douglas to take Silver AA. And of course I want USA to win team gold :)

I think I like Beth Tweedle on bars, as well. I think the uneven bars even is completely wide open, with Liukin retired and Komova, the reigning world champion, looking beatable. A big question surrounds He Kexin. She's been injured and lost some confidence, but her routine at Chinese nationals was amazing. If China decides to bring her, she could contend again.

My view is

Vault - 1 Maroney - 2 Izbasa - 3 Douglas
UB - 1 Komova- 2 Mustafina - 3 Douglas
Beam - 1 Ponor - 2 Iordache - 3
Huang Qiushuang
Floor -1 Iordache - 2 Ponor - 3
Ksenia Afanasyeva
AA - 1 Iordache - 2 Douglas - 3 Komova

As for the teams - Romania/USA for the first spot, Russia-China to fight for the bronze medal.I can't really understand why Romania is so underrated odds wise, 11 (10 to 1 - american odds) for the gold is really valuable, I really think we have more than 9% chances to win this team event, Romania's back on track and more surprises from Belu and Bitang are yet to come :)

USA1.90
Russia3.75
China4.50
Romania11.00

while another bookie offers - USA @ 2.55
China 2.75
Russia 2.85
Romania 9

What do you guys think?

Beth surely has a chance for a medal on bars, I just feel the Russians are too strong there, like most of the times.On top of that I think that the pressure will be too much on her and she might crack...

VT 1.Maroney 2.Izbasa 3.Chusovitina
UB 1.Mustafina 2.Tweddle 3.Douglas.
BB 1.Iordache 2. Lu 3.Wieber.
FX 1. Raisman 2.Lu 3.Iordache
AA 1.Wieber 2.Komova 3.Iordache (Douglas would be here but I am afraid she will head case like at 2011 Visas and Pacific Rim.)
TF 1.USA 2.Romania 3.Russia.

I have not posted on a gym board in years. lol I am not so sure Douglas will not crack under the pressure of the Olympic stage. Huge stage to be on and she has her inconsistencies. I'm going to agree with Springerboy16 except for Douglas, I am going with Beth on UB for gold and I am not entirely sure the US will beat Romania and Russia. I have a feeling Mustafina and Co should not be underestimated. lol It should be a great competition with some awesome gymnastics to see. If Wieber doesn't falter she could take more than the AA gold I'd say. Doesn't she have two really good vaults too? I am excited to watch it but nothing will ever compare to this BB routine: Nadia Comaneci - 1976 Olympic Gold Balance Beam Routine - YouTube I so love her fluid movements. So awesome.

I really want Aly to win a spot on the AA podium and for Mckayla to win vault finals!

I love Aly, too, but she would have to beat Douglas or Wieber in qualifying round to even get a spot in the all-around final. And I think that is a taller order than even a spot on the podium.

Onodi92 - Nadia's beam routine is probably my favorite of all time. She looks like she was born on that beam.

Okay, how about Elisabeth Seitz :) She invented the Seitz on bars and she has a great bar routine :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back