Parents Fear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

My dd is about to start her trial at a higher level gymnastics class starting this week, for now the class is once a week for 2 1/2 hours with a possibility of extra hours in the future. The class dd is trying out is for older girls (9-10 year olds) and the coach who takes the class had to check with the head coach that it was ok for dd to try, while she is doing the trial class dd has been told not to go to her regular Rec class.

The coach did raise some concerns that cropped up while she was with her for her normal rec class, the coach told me that dd (just turned 7) had some fears on the high beam while having ago at a forward roll and cartwheel - she did them with the coaches support, I was asked how I thought dd would be in this new class and I said that she will be excited (which she is) and that this is something she really wants. Is it normal for girls especially young girls to have some fear on the high beam and is this something that can be overcome with confidence and trust in the coach? I did tell dd that they wouldn't get her to do anything dangerous and that she can trust her coach. Dd is fine walking and jumping on the beam and is fine with bars etc.

Both dd and I are looking forward to this new class but it will be a big change as dd will now go in when she usually finishes her Rec class and will finish late at night.

Beam is scary - have you been up there ? I did - to proove to my girls there was nothing to be afraid of and nearly wet myself. A little fear is normal, if she starts refusing to do stuff then it becomes a problem. I have no real words of wisdom, Pink andf Fluffy will still baulk sometimes, but repatition helps.

High beam fear is probably one of the most common fears. I believe there are about a million threads on the topic here on CB. My DD is one that has had many fears with beam since starting gymnastics at 8 years old. She is now 14! So I am sure as your DD gets more comfortable and confident she will be fine! Tell her to have fun in her new class!

I'd be afraid too! Actually it will probably help her fear being with the older girls and seeing them on the high beam. I could definitely see her looking up to the older girls and following their lead - even up onto the higher beam.

am I understanding correctly that the coach was concerned that a 7 year old, rec level kid showed fear with doing a cartwheel on the high beam? IMO this is something that they should have them work on the low beam, then move to the high beam and from what I have seen it isn't something that a coach would even expect a team kid to do on the high beam the first time without a spot...

Personally, I wouldn't be worried about the fear. Like the others have said, it is HIGH and it is narrow and it is scary to think about doing these things up there. For me, I'd want to understand more about how this came up. Did your DD already have a solid cartwheel on the low beam? Had she been spotted on it for a while on the high beam and was still refusing to do it on the high beam? Because like I said, hesitation on this skill seems kind of normal IMO.

What 2G1B said. She's 7. If a skill is done with the correct drills she should be desperate to get up there and give it a try. Endless repetitions on a floor line, then the low beam, and only when they know they can do it should they be allowed up on the high beam.

Has she just been allowed to get up there and try it? If so I'm not surprised she has a little fear.

Dd was doing forward rolls on the high beam (she has done some on her on using the high wider beam but they dont do it very often in rec) and cartwheels on the low beam I think, I see what you mean about the high beam being scarey as dd is only 109cm tall so the high beam must stand nealy as tall as her. The coach dd had said that they were testing them without their knowledge so I guess dd must have done something good enough to be given the chance to be given a trial in this group - its not a new group, dd will be starting along with another girl and joining other girls who have been there for a while, being with these girls will spur dd on from what I have noticed about dd in the past, she seems to do better in smaller groups with also having people to emulate.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back